A strip on the top of a page, or a rectangular cloth with words and pictures, usually for a party. Also, a banner ad. Example, look up.

A UNIX program that generates a large banner out of # marks.

Usage: banner -w80 message
-w is the option for size. I find 80 to be the best for my letter size printer.
message is what you want the banner to say.

To quickly make a banner type this:
banner -w80 message | enscript -B
bang path = B = banner ad

banner n.

1. The title page added to printouts by most print spoolers (see spool). Typically includes user or account ID information in very large character-graphics capitals. Also called a `burst page', because it indicates where to burst (tear apart) fanfold paper to separate one user's printout from the next. 2. A similar printout generated (typically on multiple pages of fan-fold paper) from user-specified text, e.g., by a program such as Unix's banner({1,6}). 3. On interactive software, a first screen containing a logo and/or author credits and/or a copyright notice. This is probably now the commonest sense.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Ban"ner (?), n. [OE. banere, OF. baniere, F. banniere, bandiere, fr. LL. baniera, banderia, fr. bandum banner, fr. OHG. bant band, strip of cloth; cf. bindan to bind, Goth. bandwa, bandwo, a sign. See Band, n.]

1.

A kind of flag attached to a spear or pike by a crosspiece, and used by a chief as his standard in battle.

Hang out our banners on the outward walls. Shak.

2.

A large piece of silk or other cloth, with a device or motto, extended on a crosspiece, and borne in a procession, or suspended in some conspicuous place.

3.

Any flag or standard; as, the star-spangled banner.

Banner fish Zool., a large fish of the genus Histiophorus, of the Swordfish family, having a broad bannerlike dorsal fin; the sailfish. One species (H. Americanus) inhabits the North Atlantic.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.