An 8-voice polyphonic analog synthesizer with a 61-note keyboard. Manufactured between 1977 and 1980.
Not a huge commercial success due to its $6900 price tag and heavy competition by synths like the Sequential Circuits Prophet-5.

The CS-80 features 2 separate layers with 1 VCO per voice, adding up to 16 oscillators. Available waveforms are sawtooth, square, sine, noise, pulse and PWM.
On the filter section there are resonant (but not self-oscillating) 12dB/octave high- and low-pass VCFs. They feature controls for cut-off and resonance, plus an ADR envelope generator.
The VCA offers its own ADSR EG, plus sliders for controlling VCF and sine wave output levels.
5 waveforms plus external audio input are available on the LFO, which is strangely called a sub-oscillator. Separate level controls for VCO, VCF and VCA are included, as well as a speed knob.

A versatile ring modulator is available, and features controls for modulation, depth (maximum frequency), speed, attack time and decay time. Another special feature is the patch memory, with 22 preset sounds and 6 user programmable patches divided among the two layers.

The layers are independently detuneable and have separate volume and octave controls. Sadly, the LFO can only modulate both parts at once.
The keyboard offers 61 semi-weighted keys with adjustable velocity / aftertouch sensitivity. It is possible to scale the VCA and VCF across the keyboard in an increasing or decreasing slope.
Other features include global brilliance / resonance knobs and a pitch ribbon controller instead of the usual wheel. CV/Gate outputs are available for external control, and MIDI-upgrade is said to be relatively easy to do.

Famous users of the CS-80 include Vangelis, Kraftwerk and Electric Light Orchestra.


Dimensions/Weight:
121 x 30.5 x 69cm
~100kg



Presets:
String 1-4
Brass 1-3
Flute
Electric Piano
Bass
Clavichord 1-2
Harpsichord 1-2
Organ 1-2
Guitar 1-2
Funky 1-4



back to Yamaha

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.