Worcestershire Sauce can also be added to tomato juice in order to give it a bit of bite (without the need to leave it out of the refrigerator for several days - and the problems that can cause).

Walkers Crisps do a Worcester Sauce Flavour of Crisps. This is presumably to avoid problems with messrs. Lea and Perrins.

So, what IS Worcestershire sauce anyway? According to the Lea and Perrins site, Worcestershire sauce contains mostly vinegar, molasses, anchovies, tamarind, shallots, garlic, onion, cloves and chili peppers.

Everything is thrown together, aged, strained, and aged again in wooden casks. Strain it once more and bottle it, and you've got yourself some sauce.

Apparently you can cut down on preparation time by cooking it at some point, however Lea and Perrins suggests that this is the technique of infidels.

The first time I spent any significant amount of time in Mexico, I discovered that Worcestershire sauce (salsa inglesa) is one of Mexico's favorite condiments. The only condiment that's more common is hot sauce.

They put salsa inglesa on some things most people would never even consider, such as: ceviche, scrambled eggs, shrimp cocktail, and most surprisingly, pizza. It actually tastes pretty good on that stuff. What's funny is that now whenever I taste oh-so-English Worcestershire sauce, I think of sitting on the boardwalk in Ensenada, munching on a tostada especial.

Ah, Worcestershire sauce. A condiment from which, in my house, no steak can hide. Worcestershire sauce is also commonly used in the Caesar Salad and in Chex Mix.

The Worcestershire in Worcestershire sauce is most properly pronounced /ˈwʊstəˌʃɪər/, or something along the lines of "woostahsure" and is named such due to its creation in Worcester, England. Worcestershire sauce was originally created by Lea and Perrins in the 1830s.

Worcestershire sauce (that is to say, real, Lea & Perrins, Worcestershire sauce) is neither vegetarian nor vegan due to it containing anchovies. But, then again, there's not a whole lot for a vegetarian to put Worcestershire sauce on, anyway.


XWiz says: It is generally pronounced 'wuster', and anyone who pronounces it 'wustershire' would immediately be pounced on and beaten about the head and legs. I'm going to have to beg to differ with you on that one. Were it pronounced 'wuster', it would be Worcester sauce, which, while a perfectly cromulent synonym of Worcestershire sauce, is a different word entirely.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.