that provides a service that is used to transfer money
around the world, to those who do not have access to PayPal
. Their fee
s for providing this service are very high.
Money transfer is done via a modem connection into a central server. How the process works is this:
- Sender makes a connection with Western Union, and gives identifying information for him/herself, identifying information about the recipient, the expected place of delivery, and a method of payment.
- Western Union connects with the central server, which then processes the payment and the ID information. When done at an office terminal, this connection is via modem; when done via the website, it's done (presumably) over Ethernet.
- Recipient goes to Western Union office, and fills out a form, listing the same information that the sender gave.
- Western Union office connects to central server via modem connection. Central server validates the input (possibly using fuzzy matching), and sends authorization to the office terminal to print a check with the amount sent.
- Check gets printed, and in most locations the recipient can endorse the check and get cash instantly.
s for this service
are, as mentioned, very high -- $43.00 for $500 sent (US to US, no message attached), or $15.00 for $50 sent (US to US, no message attached). An alternative
service, at least in the US, is MoneyGram