Minor league baseball team. Plays in the Frontier league- Rookie league. London, as in London, Ontario.

No word about copyright violations, but I doubt Warren Zevon would really care. I also bet bat day at this ballpark is a load of fun.

They lasted in London from 1999-2001

Let me travel back to my early days of listening to music: it is 1993 and I am in my bedroom listening to the classic rock station on a one speaker radio. The classic rock station plays mostly in two categories: blues rock/psychedelic rock of the 1960s, and arena rock of the 1970s, and then sometimes something else. (That "something else" is a big, separate topic: Why were The Talking Heads and U2 allowed to sneak onto classic rock radio? Why are the Grateful Dead hard enough for classic rock, but The Byrds aren't? But that question goes somewhere else).

An example of that "Something else" is a song that gets played rarely. It is by someone named Warren Zevon, and it is the only song by him. In fact, one of the reasons the song comes up is that my classic rock station has a gimmick called "The A to Z weekend", and with the exception of ZZ Top, Zevon is the only artist to fit that Z slot. The song is an odd little story about werewolves, describing in humorous detail how they are rampaging bloodily through London. The song has clear lyrics, spoken more than sung, and then has a distinctive "wolf howl" "Aa-Hooo" sound in its chorus. The werewolves are described as being both vicious, attacking and mutilating women, but also doing humorously normal things, such as going out for "beef chow mein". What, I thought in my teenage years, was this song about? It was a minor mystery, but not one of the many that I considered necessary for my serious quest to understand the classic rock canon. The song seemed a little creepy to me, and not in the good way.

Of course, now we have the internet, and it is easy for me to find the answers, such as they are. Warren Zevon was a songwriter and sideman who worked extensively with other artists, but struggled to find much success on his own. This lack of mainstream success might be attributed to the sometimes morbid nature of his music, as evidenced by this song. Apparently, the song was written without a particular agenda in mind, just as a humourous take-off on the movie "Werewolf of London". For whatever reason, this almost-novelty song has persisted in the memory of listeners more than the rest of Zevon's output, and despite not even being very serious.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.