A 14th century epic poem written by Dante Alligheri, responsible for transforming the Christian concept of the afterlife. The work details a traveler's autobiographical journey through three levels: Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise.

Milla Jovovich's debut album. The 1994 album features the buzukie, dulcimer, mandolin, ukulele, penny whistle, kalimba, harmonium, hurdy-gurdy, and bamboo flute, as well as more traditional instrumentation. The result is a light, ethereal sound with Milla's vocals as the centerpiece.

Track Listing:

A trip through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, as told by Dante Alighieri. This has been noded for your theological pleasure, but it's also a hell of a story.

See:
Inferno - Contents
Purgatorio - Contents
Paradiso - Contents
The Divine Comedy was begun by Dante in about 1307. Its completion took place shortly before his death. In the Divine Comedy, Dante guides us (in verse) through what he imagines as hell (Inferno), purgatory (Purgatorio), and heaven (Paradiso), in that order. In each of these three realms the poet meets with mythological, historical, and contemporary personages. These manifestations are representatives of faults or virtues in religion and society. Virgil, who to Dante is the symbol of reason, guides him through hell and purgatory. Beatrice, Dante's love, guides him through heaven.

Each text, except for the first (which has an added introduction), has a total of 33 cantos. The poem is written in "third rhyme." Because the poem was intended for Dante's contemporaries, he wrote it in Italian rather than Latin. The poem was titled "La Commedia" by Dante, but in 1555 was changed to "La Commedia Divina."

The Divine Comedy has been interpretted by scholars on four levels: literal, symbolic, moral, and mystical. It serves as a dramatization of Christian theology of this era, and the moral can be interpretted as "reaching purification and inner-peace can only be achieved through the guidance of reason and love."

Introduction

The Divine Comedy is a British/Irish pop group led by the charismatic Neil Hannon. The Divine Comedy was first born in 1989 after Hannon came together with John McCullagh (Vocals) and Kevin Traynor (Drums) but the lineup has changed dramatically over the years.

The Divine Comedy blend pleasant ballad-based music, with intensely clever lyrics which often provide biting social commentary. Hannon, the driving force behind The Divine Comedy, has a pessimistic and often sarcastic take on modern society, which is implicit in his music.

Collaboration's with Joby Talbot, who was the BBC's Young Composer Of The Year in 1996 proved fruitful for the band and resulted in the wonderful album Casanova providing the band's first top 20 hits, with the elegantly composed, Something For The Weekend and The Frog Princess.

The brilliance of 1998's Fin De Siecle, earned The Divine Comedy more, throughly deserved, accolades such as their first top ten album, and a top 10 hit in National Express.


The Current Lineup

The Divine Comedy consists of
Neil Hannon, guitar, songwriter, vocals
Joby Talbot, piano
Bryan Mills, bass guitar
Ivor Talbot, guitar
Stuart Bates, Hammond organist
Rob Farrer, percussion


Releases

The Divine Comedy's releases to date are:

Fanfare for the Comic Muse (1989)

08/93
LP/CD

Ignorance Is Bliss
Indian Rain
Bleak Landscape
Tailspin
The Rise And Fall
Logic Vs Emotion
Secret Garden


Liberation (1993)

08/93
LP/CD

Festive Road
Death of a Supernaturalist
Bernice Bobs Her Hair
I Was Born Yesterday
Your Daddy's Car
Europop
Timewatching
The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count
Queen of the South
Victoria Falls
3 Sisters
Europe By Train
Lucy


Promenade (1994)

03/94
CD/MC/LP

Bath
Going Downhill Fast
The Booklovers
A Seafood Song
Geronimo
Don't Look Down
When the Lights Go Out All Over Europe
The Summerhouse
Neptune's Daughter
A Drinking Song
Ten Seconds to Midnight
Tonight We Fly


Casanova (1996)

04/96
CD/MC/LP

Something For The Weekend
Becoming More Like Alfie
Middle-Class Heroes
In & Out Of Paris & London
Charge
Songs Of Love
The Frog Princess
A Woman Of The World
Through A Long & Sleepless Night
Theme From Casanova
The Dogs & The Horses


Fin de Siecle (1998)

08/98
CD/LCD/MC/LP
SETCD/CDL/MC/LP057

Generation Sex
Thrillseeker
Commuter Love
Sweden
Eric The Gardener
National Express
Life On Earth
The Certainty Of Chance
Here Comes The Flood
Sunrise


A Secret History - The Best Of The Divine Comedy (1999)

08/99
CD/LP/MC
SETCD/CDL/LP/MC100

National Express
Something For The Weekend
Everybody Knows (Except You)
Generation Sex
Becoming More Like Alfie
The Summerhouse
Your Daddy's Car
The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count
The Frog Princess
Gin Soaked Boy
Lucy
Songs Of Love
In Pursuit Of Happiness
I've Been To A Marvellous Party
The Certainty Of Chance
Too Young To Die
Tonight We Fly


Regeneration (2001)

03/01
CD/MC

Timestretched
Bad Ambassador
Perfect Lovesong
Note To Self
Lost Property
Eye Of The Needle
Love What You Do
Dumb It Down
Mastermind
Regeneration
The Beauty Regime

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.