A comic book introduced by DC Comics in 1964. It started out as the sidekick comic, with members including Robin (of "Batman and..." fame), Kid Flash (the Flash's sidekick), Aqualad (Aquaman's sidekick), Wonder Girl (Wonder Woman's sidekick), and Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick). Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the book worked very hard to sound hip, but usually just sounded like a really square grownup's idea of what teenagers sounded like.

In 1980, the comic was revived by writer Marv Wolfman and artist George Perez. The membership of the team was much more varied this time around, with members including Robin (later Nightwing), Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and a bunch of new members, including Changeling, Cyborg, Raven, Starfire, and several others. This comic was much better written and more popular than the previous one -- the only comic more popular in the 1980s was "The X-Men".* This team had some of the best storylines in comics, taking on villains like Trigon, Deathstroke the Terminator, the Fearsome Five, and Brother Blood, getting betrayed by a masquerading psychopath named Terra, and tracking down Wonder Girl's origins.

Several more incarnations of the Teen Titans have come and gone in the ensuing years, often wavering between the original members, all grown up, members of the '80s team, all grown up, or completely new members who no one has ever heard of. For a while, the Titans included a bunch of human/alien hybrids, led by the Atom, who had been mystically de-aged to his teens.

The version of the team introduced in 2004 was designed to piggyback on the success of a new animated cartoon on Cartoon Network. This edition of the Titans included some members of the '80s team (Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, and a de-aged Raven) along with the latest crop of teen sidekicks, like the new Robin, the new Superboy, the new Wonder Girl, the new Kid Flash, and the new Speedy.

*(Of course, the Titans and the X-Men did crossover in 1982, when they took on the combined might of Darkseid and the Dark Phoenix. Only thing I remember 'bout it was Changeling and Kitty Pride necking on the teleporting Moebius Chair...)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.