Sometimes Japan gets all the neat toys. Especially when it comes to Mega Man games. In 1999 Capcom put together a little compilation called the Rockman Complete Works for the Sony PlayStation that consists of all six Mega Man games from the days of the NES. That's right, it's Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 6 all on CDs for the Playstation (each sold seperately). The total package consists of six discs, each containing one game. All of the graphics have been left in their 8-bit goodness, while the music has been beefed up to the remixes from the two Mega Man arcade games, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. There's also a nifty database function and some extras for the Pocketstation.

There are two options to choose from for each game. You can choose to play in old fashioned 8-bit mode and relive all the old graphics and sounds, or you can choose to play in Navi mode. In Navi mode the menu screens have been redrawn and hints appear on screen from time to time. Mega Man can save up bolts to build new items that enhance his abilities, such as super jumping or a more powerful blaster. Only two items can be equipped at any one time, however. Plus this mode features the remixed music mentioned earlier.

Players can obtain a password at any time by pressing Select or the current game can be saved to the memory card. Note that save games do not save any more information than a password will. There are a few nifty button shortcuts available as well. The Circle button acts as a slide button, although down+jump works just as well. The Triangle button is rapid fire, and L1 and R1 scroll through weapons just as in the Mega Man X series.

Capcom attempted to bring the game to America, but Sony denied the plan and this has kept the games isolated to Japan because they don't want to bring a totally 2D gaming experience to their 3D console. Capcom fought the issue for several years, although the argument was made moot with the introduction of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection in 2004.

References:
http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/RMCW.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.