The best running back of his generation, a member of the pro and college football halls of fame. An important cultural figure: he was perhaps the first US black athlete to become as loved - in the commercial-endorsements sphere - as any white athlete; his ads, for companies such as Hertz, paved the way for the age of Michael Jordan endorsing anything that moves. Began an acting career while still in football, and wasn't bad.

I think he killed Nicole and Ron.

Ignoring the murder trial, O.J. Simpson was one of the best running backs in (American) football history.

Orenthal James Simpson (DOB: 7/9/1947; San Francisco, California) won the Heisman Trophy in 1968 as a senior at USC and was taken first overall by the Buffalo Bills in the 1969 AFL-NFL draft. "The Juice" would play for the Bills from 1969-1977, setting numerous records along the way.

In 1973, Simpson became the first runner in NFL history to run for over 2000 yards in a season (he ended up with 2003; Eric Dickerson broke his record with 2105 yards; Barry Sanders and Terrell Davis are the only other players in history to run for 2000 yards in a season. Simpson set his mark in a 14-game season; the other 3 did it in 16-game seasons).

O.J. won the NFL MVP award in 1975, after scoring a then-record 23 touchdowns (Emmitt Smith's 25 in 1995 is the current mark.)

Simpson spent the final two seasons of his career (1978-1979) with the San Francisco 49ers.

Simpson led the NFL in rushing 4 times (1972, 1973, 1975, 1976). Only Jim Brown has been the league leader more times (8).

O.J. had a record 6 games of at least 200 yards and twice rushed for at least 250 yards (Through 2000, only 3 other players in NFL history have ever rushed for 250+; Walter Payton, Corey Dillon, and Mike Anderson).

He was an All-Pro 5 times.

Simpson's career rushing stats are 2404 attempts, 11236 yards, and 61 touchdowns. He also had 14 receiving touchdowns and 1 kickoff return TD.

As one of the game's greats, Simpson was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983 and Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

In 1999, ESPN's SportsCentury selected Simpson #49 on their list of the 100 greatest North American athletes of the 20th century.

The Juice certainly did perform the murders. However, he proved in court that he had mitigating circumstances - he was rich.

In the years since OJ stabbed two people to death, he has had to sell his house to pay the legal fees. During his football career, he did lots of advertising work, examples of which are now highly prized by kitsch collectors.

When Ruby Wax made a documentary about the (now fairly demented) Juice's daily life a couple of years ago, on the last night of her stay, she heard a knock on the door. She opened the door and OJ burst in, wide-eyed and making stabbing motions with a banana (unaware that the camera was rolling). This was apparently his idea of a joke.

(Mental note : do not book this man to entertain at children's parties)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.