Longwave is a rock (sometimes emo-y) band that formed in New York City in 1999. The band currently consists of four members: Vocalist and Guitarist Steve Schiltz, Guitarist Shannon Freguson, Bassist Dave Marchese, and Drummer Mike James.

The owner of the Luna Lounge in Lower Manhattan first noticed Longwave’s potential. He offered to put out their album for them on his record label Luna Sea Records (Get it? Lunacy?). The band financed their first album themselves and released in the fall of 2000. It was titled: Endsongs.

Endsongs did not gain the band the recognition they deserved. They continued working on their music while they found a new manager. Big Hassle founder Jim Merlis was the man who took the job; his publicity firm had previously worked with Nirvana, Hole, Garbage, and more recently The Strokes. The latter of which would play a big part later on…

In 2002 they released a new EP on Fenway records; It was entitled Daysleeper. The strength of the EP assisted Longwave in securing a supporting role for The Strokes Tour. At first, Longwave was offered only three dates; however, The Strokes were so impressed with their performance they gave them the whole tour. Longwave benefited greatly from the buzz surrounding the Strokes at the time and soon they had the attention of RCA records, which wanted to put out their next album.

The Buzz led to the release of their second full-length album: The Strangest Things. The Strangest things comprises of 12 songs from the dark and morose “meet me at the bottom” to the radio-friendly rocker- “Tidal Wave.” The album however, does not come close to describing the band’s real energy which can only be appreciated in their live show. They have toured with The Sheila Divine, The Strokes, White Light Motorcade, The Raveonettes, and The Mooney Suzuki (The latter three all played along with Longwave on M2 and CMJ’s Advanced Warning tour in Spring 2003). Longwave’s live performances are highly energetic: Lead Vocalist Steve Schiltz throws his whole body into each solo and song making the band fun to watch. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and check them out.



Discography
Recommended Listens


Information in the 2nd-4th paragraphs was adapted from the band’s biography on www.longwavetheband.com –

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.