So I went to a Limp Bizkit show tonight. Don't ask why, I'm not really into their music. It was free and supported by Napster.

Pretty much what I expected: suburban teenagers in various states of undress, some pleasing to the eye, some not so. I stood above and to the side of the crowds, pretty much an impartial observer. The crowd thrashed the night away, stage-diving, crowd surfing, etc. I noticed their obiedience; three thousand people responding to a single command. I noticed how Fred Durst moves like a monkey (sort of sings like one, too.). There was much "eff you-ing" going on. Seemed like a whole lot of misdirected anger to me.

The whole thing made me feel alienated and out of place. But in the middle of the last song (The Nookie, I believe), two cannons at either end of the stage began to spew smoke and confetti. Moving blue and yellow lights, along with a few strobes illuminated the air, and the crowd seemed to throb in slow motion. At first, the whole affair seemed ridiculous in light of the heavy screeching music that was playing, but I soon became entraced by the lights and colors, the almost-sad nature of confetti, the echos of a hi-hat on a wall, and especially the energy of the crowd. Suddenly this monstrous, angry show had turned quietly beautful for me.

When I woke up from wherever the hell I was, I realized that the band had left without saying goodbye, and that the crowd had started to file out without asking for an encore.




This node has no point.
About the band:

Limp Bizkit started in 1996, with Fred Durst (lead vocals), Wes Borland (6- and 7- string guitars), Sam Rivers (bass) and John Otto (drums) being the core band members. DJ Lethal (scratches and turntables) joined the band at a later stage.

The band didn't make it big until Fred Durst gave a demo tape of his band to Jonathan Davis, the lead singer of Korn, while doing a tattoo on him in 1997. This is when the band got signed up, and released their first album - "Three Dollar Bill Y'All$". The album featured the singles "Counterfeit", "Faith" (a George Michael cover) and "Stuck", amongst others.

The album went multi-platinum, and Limp Bizkit since became the definitive rock-rap band, releasing "Significant Other" in 1999 (featuring songs like "Nookie" and "Rearranged"), and "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog flavoured Water" in 2000, as well as being featured on the MI: 2 movie soundtrack. Between releasing studio albums, Limp Bizkit were on tour promoting their music, starting from being one of the core bands in the original "Family Values" tour (along with Korn, Rammstein and Orgy), going to doing a tour sponsored by Napster in 2000.

Discography: Current line-up:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.