In the DeCSS case in the United States District Court (Southern District of New York), judge Lewis Kaplan made a statement that "At the time of trial, licenses had been issued to numerous hardware and software manufacturers, including two companies that plan to release DVD players for computers running the Linux operating system" (source: http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/courtweb/pdf/D02NYSC/00-08117.PDF). But what happened to them? I've read a bit of news in Slashdot about software DVD players that are made for Linux, but I haven't the slightest idea where the heck are they and if they are availble.

Here are a list of companies that are "supposed" to have non-free DVD player software for Linux, but haven't made a thing for people like me.

What the Hell happened? Is it true that every Linux user is like the Slashdot crew who owned their own DVD players and high-end room-hogging audio/video equipment? I can't afford to have any of those things that CmdrTaco and CowboyNeal use everyday, let alone using them (my TV and my sister's Playstation on loan are collecting dust in the living room). A "street legal" DVD player costs around $300 USD to $800 for the pretentious SONY units. I can only use my computer to watch my small legal DVD collection!

Judge Kaplan only said that licenses are given to such companies, not whether the products are made or are available in retail. Is this a scam? Is this some kind of MPAA-concocted prank on 2600 and other hackers/linux users/the rest of the computer geek media to show that DeCSS and its original purpose is useless?

I'm going to try and get Debian installed in my 'puter next week, and I'm going to get every computer hardware doohickey running. For the DVD-ROM and playback, I'll stick with LiViD instead of this "licensed" swill.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.