Everything Request for Comments

Header:

Target date of implementation: immediate!

Intent:

To provide a standardized form of creating a series of standardized write-ups.

An Everthing Request for Comments ("ERFC") should be written whenever it is desirable to create a generalized form for a group of very closely related write-ups, such as an index of items. For example, to standardize the way people create write-ups about Kanji characters; or cards in a card game like Magic the Gathering; or Episodes of a television or movie series.

ERFC's do not intend to take away all free form of expression and artistry on e2. In fact, it is encouraged to write against their preposed form. It is however encouraged for at least one noder to follow them so at least one write-up under the node follows the agreed upon convention to allow people who like tight schemas to enjoy them.

How will they be enforced? Well, they won't. If the form is good, people will use it. If it isn't, people won't. It is that simple, and that Darwinian.

Specification:

A ERFR contain the following attributes:

Node Title:

A node title which contains the prefix, "ERFC: " and a brief description of the topic that the ERFC addresses.

Example: ERFC: All in the Family Episode Guide

This title shall also appear in-beween two <h1> tags at the top of the node (see template below).

Header:

Shall include meta information about the ERFC including its target date for adoption by the e2 community.

Intent:

Reasons why the ERFC are needed and what problems it intends to solve.

Specification:

The actual specification of how nodes relating to the ERFC will be written up including (but not limited to) form, content, and character.

Conclusion:

Any closing statements the author has about the ERFC.

Revision History:

The revision history of the ERFC, intented to show changes to the document as influenced by comments left after the ERFC. It is proceeded by a <hr> tag to separate it form the main ERFC document.

Conclusion:

The definition of an ERFC itself is an ERFC.

For another example of an ERFC, see ERFC: Kanji Write-Ups, which actually lead to the construction of this node.

An index of ERFCs could be maintained at a Everything Request for Comments Metanode.

I have no idea if this idea will fly.


Revision History:

03/02/2001: Node created.


Everything Request for Comments Template:

<h1>Everything Request for Comments: Template Title</h1>

<h2><u>Header:</u></h2>
<blockquote>
<p>
	Target date of ERFC implementation: mm/dd/yyyy
</p>
</blockquote>

<h2><u>Intent:</u></h2>
<blockquote>
<p>
	To blah blah blah...
</p>
</blockquote>

<h2><u>Specification:</u></h2>
<blockquote>
	<h3><u>Node Titles:</u></h3>
	<blockquote>
	<p>
		Title Specification.
	</p>
	</blockquote>

	<h3><u>Node Content:</u></h3>
	<blockquote>
	<p>
		Content Specification.
	</p>
	</blockquote>
</blockquote>

<h2><u>Conclusion:</u></h2>
<blockquote>
<p>
	ERFC Conclusion.
</p>
</blockquote>

<hr>

<h2><u>[Revision History]:</u></h2>
<blockquote>
<p>
	mm/dd/yyyy: Revision 1 Comment
	mm/dd/yyyy: Revision 2 Comment
</p>
</blockquote>

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.