This is an idea that I developed in the last year or two, and wrote out for a midterm exam last month (don't worry, it was for a writing class....)


Well... one night in the last couple years, I formulated an idea that I call the "Doctrine of Fun", though perhaps "Pleasure" or "Happiness" might be more suitable words than "Fun". However, for the sake of argument, let's use them as synonyms for the time being.

The Doctrine of Fun states that all actions taken should result, directly or indirectly, in increased fun. Any action that has an overall negative effect on fun is counterproductive.

Note, very importantly here, that I don't say one's own fun, but fun in the general sense. Given the essential interconnectedness that is the nature of Existence that The Story of B (a book we read for the class... I highly recommend it) discussed and that I have always believed in, any actions that are pleasurable for one person but negatively impact this person's surroundings are counterproductive because the unhappiness surrounding this person will return to him or her, thus causing a net decrease in Fun.

Also important to note is that I state that actions should result directly or indirectly in increased fun. Thus, actions that are displeasurable in themselves but which are necessary to maintain the health, well-being, etc. of a person are actions of net fun because they bring about conditions which foster happiness or help eschew conditions which inhibit happiness.

One more important note is that by "fun", I don't mean only the fun of humans but of all creatures. It is misguided and arrogant to assume that humans are the only creatures capable of, or worthy of, happiness.

Selflessness is a popular idea, promoted by many religions and philosophies of the world. This meshes with the Doctrine of Fun -- to a point. Actions which are unpleasant for the agent of action but which are highly beneficial to the surroundings are net-fun achtions. But to be a continued source of fun to the world, one must be healthy -- which requires taking enough resources to survive, and participating in some fun of one's own -- happiness is crucial to health. The needless death of a source of fun in the name of selflessness is no fun at all.

The ideal program of action is one that works within the web that is the community of life, in accordance with the law of life (thus ensuring maximum effectivity), which results in the end in a net increase in happiness for all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.