Typically speaking, the curd is the portion of milk proteins attracted to the coagulant rennin. Once separated the curd is put through a variety of aging and spicing techniques to arrive at different cheeses.

Curds however are not unique to cheeses. Sweet curds can be made by adding citrus juices to a mixture of butter and egg yolks cooked until the result is very creamy. These curds are then used as a topping for many dishes.

And lets not forget our friend Bean Curd, or as many of you know her, Tofu. Tofu is the iron rich curds extracted from soy milk in a process very similar to cheese.

As our young friend Webster so helpfully points out below, curds can be any coagulated portions of a liquid. If you think about, this includes things like scabs, Jello and lugies.

Curd (k?rd), n. [Of Celtic origin; cf. Gael. gruth, Ir, gruth, cruth, curd, cruthaim I milk.] [Sometimes written crud.]

1.

The coagulated or thickened part of milk, as distingushed from the whey, or watery part. It is eaten as food, especially when made into cheese.

Curds and cream, the flower of country fare. Dryden.

2.

The coagulated part of any liquid.

3.

The edible flower head of certain brassicaceous plants, as the broccoli and cauliflower.

Broccoli should be cut while the curd, as the flowering mass is termed, is entire. R. Thompson.

Cauliflowers should be cut for use while the head, or curd, is still close and compact. F. Burr.

 

© Webster 1913.


Curd (k?rd), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Curded;p. pr. &�xb5; vb. n. Curding.]

To cause to coagulate or thicken; to cause to congeal; to curdle.

Does it curd thy blood To say I am thy mother? Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Curd, v. i.

To become coagulated or thickened; to separate into curds and whey

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.