A legendary demogroup on the pc platform. They produced creatively powerful demos and intros from 1994 to 1997, backed up by very good soundtracks by Dune, now brothomStates. Their productions are available on scene.org, and are working mainly under plain Dos with the gravis ultrasound soundboard.

After being inactive for 3 years, they finally came back at Assembly 2000 with their latest demo, Non stop ibiza experience

demography (still incomplete I hope)
of course it would be great to review those demos now :)
A song by 10,000 Maniacs, about Agent Orange. From the EP Human Conflict Number Five; if you're not a 10kM collector, your best bet is to get `Hope Chest', a rerelease of the material from HC#5 and Secrets of the I Ching.
Lineage closed Dissolved In its birth Tragedy Prelude a balance Is a synergy Of reason Malicious hope As techno atrocities Lapse their effects Associate these ends Their clarity Demands your revenge Please compensate Not Deny Jungle Revenge Infanticide Crosses Very thin walls Latent casualties Arrive From fatal initiation No longer recessive Genetic aliens abandoned Plain deceit In the mirage of A just one time cause We'd all changed The clocks No ladies auxiliary to kiss Their blistered cheeks Gone.

© 1990 Christian Burial Music. The recordings are (P) 1982, 1990 Elektra Entertainment, a division of AOL.

The lack of line breaks is their idea, not mine. The whole thing is set to music far too happy to have these lyrics associated with it. This is a trick not many bands can pull off. 10,000 Maniacs in the early 1980s were very good at it.

See also the R.E.M. song `Orange Crush', another song about Agent Orange.

As for rhymes, Tom Lehrer once rhymed `orange' with the first two syllables of `more enjoyable'. This is somewhat reminiscent of his:

You may think it very tragic
Not to mention other adjec-
tives to think of all the mourning they will do.

A company producing high quality mountain bikes in Cumbria, UK. Their cheapest bike, the steel framed Orange Clockwork retails at over 600ukp, but is worth every penny. They also manufacture Alumnium and Titanium framed bikes, and will provide virtually any combinatiuon of components on the frame that you want. They'll also supply just the frame by itself, if that's what please you. The best thing about them is that every bike is assembled by hand, unlike other brands.

With all this choice, it's not surprising they also offer a wide choice of paintwork too.

Yup, my orange is purple

Not enough people like the color orange. How many times have you heard people say "orange" as the answer to the question,"what's your favorite color?". Most people respond typically with blue or green or red. Thus, it seems that orange is an under appreciated color.

I decided to do a little research on the color orange. Here are some interesting facts found at http://www.umkc.edu/imc/orange.htm:

The future is bright, the future is orange

The aforementioned slogan from the mobile phone network seems to have caught on; the colour orange seems to be the mainstay in recent visions of the future. It emerged widely during the utility fad that fashion underwent a few seasons ago, it was right there with new zippers and velcro and innovative fabrics and hoods (for the first time since the 80’s really, haha); it is synonymous with sterility and minimalism, and industrialism.

You saw it in the infamous ‘Freestyler’ by Bomfunk MC’s clip, and you most certainly saw it in the Fifth Element. Set in the 23rd century, everything was orange. Bruce Willis’ muscle shirts, or what seemed to be left of them, and most exquisitely, Leeloo’s radical hair, the colour of which can only be described as bright f*cking orange.

I went through a phase of wearing orange eyeshadow, it was very rad at the time, until a boy (admittedly, he had a vendetta against me for breaking his best friend’s heart, but oh well) asked me “What’s wrong with you? Do you have rabies?
“What?” I asked.
“Your eyes. You look violently ill”.

“Oh”.

Personally, orange is my favourite colour. It’s the most vivacious, the fizziest, like Fanta, it’s fun, it can be the tang of a mango or the subtlety of a cantalope. It’s the basis of 1960’s décor, it ties in with fantasic plastic, it’s played down with stripes of brown, it’s ugly, it’s fabulous, it’s there.
I concede that there is such a thing as overkill, but, a splash of orange here and there is enough to catch my eye and make me sparkle for a while.

Oranges are also, obviously, a fruit:

Citrus sinensis
ORANGE
TIAN CHEN

The fruit is ball-shaped or slightly elongated and 50-80mm in diameter. The skin is comparatively thick and firmly attached to the fruit so that it is not easy to peel.
The surface is orange in colour and covered in small oil glands. The fruit flesh is composed of about ten segments, which do not readily divide, and contain abundant juice. The flavour is sweet, or slightly acid and the flesh contains egg shaped seeds. The fruit ripens in the autumn and winter when the flesh becomes sweet or acid-sweet. It’s nature is neither warm nor cold and it contains no poison. It’s virtue is that it can promote a healthy stomach.
The flavour of the skin is bitter and pungent, it’s nature warm. It can clear phlegm, stop coughs and make for a healthy spleen and stomach. The flavour of the seeds is bitter, their nature warm. They help reduce swelling, and stop pain.

The fruit contains carbohydrate, vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, iron, citric acid, malic acid, alkaloids, flavone glucoside, volatile oils, esters, etc.

APPLICATIONS

  1. IN THE TREATMENT OF VARIOUS ILLNESSES AND DURING CONVALESCENCE. Eat one or two fresh oranges 2-3 times a day.
  2. VITAMIN C DEFICIENCY. Take 2-3 oranges and discard the skin. Eat early in the morning and again in the evening.
  3. ACUTE THROAT INFLAMMATION; PERSISTENT COUGH; HOARSENESS; LOSS OF VOICE. Slowly sip half a cup of fresh orange juice 3 times a day.
  4. ACUTE OR CHRONIC BRONCHITIS. Take one fresh orange, including the skin, cut into 4 segments and add 15 grams of sugar. Add water then steam for half an hour then eat, including the skin. Do this both in the morning and in the evening.
  5. BREAST FEEDING PROBLEMS; BREASTS RED AND SWOLLEN; FEVER WITH AVERSION TO COLD. Take 12 grams of orange seeds and crush them. Add 30 grams of boiled water and 30 grams of rice wine and mix. Drink half of this and use cotton wool to spread the rest on the affected place.
  6. FACIAL ACNE. Take an appropriate amount of the seeds of an unripe orange, add a little water and grind into a paste. Every evening spread on the affected place before going to bed.

PREPARATIONS

  1. ORANGE JUICE. Use fresh fruit, discard the skin and wrap it in clean gauze, then squeeze to obtain the juice.
  2. DRIED ORANGE SKIN. Take the orange skins and dry them thoroughly in the sun. They may then be kept for medicinal use.
  3. PREPARATION OF SEEDS. The seeds are simply thoroughly dried in the sun.

Mobile phone network operator, with operations worldwide.

Currently wholly-owned by France Telecom, Orange has changed hands several times during its history. Orange was born out of Microtel, a consortium formed in 1990 by British Aerospace (BAe) to bid for the licence to operate the UK's fourth mobile phone network. In 1991, the bid was successful, but before the network was launched, Hutchison Whampoa bought Microtel from BAe in a deal that gave the British defense company 30% of Hutchison UK.

The future’s bright. The future’s Orange

When the network was launched in 1994 as Orange, they set about differentiating themselves from existing operators Vodafone and Cellnet who had gained a reputation as stuffy and old-fashioned, as well as from fellow newcomers One2One. The basis of this was an award-winning advertising campaign and branding exercise created by Wolff Olins and WCRS. They succeeded in portraying the new comapany as fresh, modern and friendly, as well as establishing the Orange brand as one of the most widely recognised in the UK, and now worldwide. The "future's bright" slogan has been one of the most successful in advertising history, entering everday usage. The brand remains strong, arguably stronger than the much larger Vodafone. They like to say that their brand is built on strong customer service, and JD Power customer satisfaction surveys seem to back that up, but there has been some backlash from disgruntled customers and employees. Many have complained of the brainwashing that Orange staff seem to undergo.

The company had been run since its purchase by Hutchison by the charismatic and eccentric Hans Snook. He has developed a almost cult-like atmosphere in the company. In that respect he is to Orange what Steve Jobs is to Apple, a company with which it has more in common than just a fruity name.

In March 1996, Hutchison floated an minority portion of the company on the London Stock Exchange and New York's Nasdaq. This produced a valuation of £2.45 billion and a FTSE 100 listing for Orange plc. Three years later, they sold their remaining majority stake to the German conglomerate Mannessmann who then succeeded in making a compulsory purchase of the remaining shares.

This marriage was to be short-lived, as UK rival Vodafone launched an audacious hostile takeover of the German giant. As part of the conditions set down by the European Commission when they approved the bid, Vodafone were forced to sell-off Orange. Many suspected that Vodafone would succeed in crippling their competitor by selling them to a weak rival, who they would further weaken by the extravagant price they were demanding for their prize sale. This was not to be, and in May 2000 Orange was sold to France Telecom for a cool £26 billion.

France Telecom was a former state monopoly, and imbued with the bureaucratic and slow-moving culture of the French civil service. This did not sit well with the touchy-feely, forward thinking culture that Snook had developed at Orange. The clash of cultures is nicely illustrated by a small, possibly apocryphal, probably libellous anecdote that I heard from someone who worked closely with the most senior staff at Orange UK. The first delegation from France Telecom were arriving at the London offices of their new purchase. As they drew up, they were greeted by the sight of the CEO's expensive car, spray-painted by a disgruntled employee with a slogan along the lines of:

"Hans Snook is fucking my wife"

Soon after the acquisition by France Telecom, Snook stepped aside to spend more time with his other interests, which include alternative medicine and healthcare. He remained a special advisor to the Board. This was not before he oversaw the company's second flotation. This time, Orange SA, as it was now known, was listed on EuroNext Paris, as well as the London Stock Exchange.

France Telecom saw Orange UK as the model to follow for the rest of their current and future mobile network operations and has committed itself to introducing the Orange brand for every network in which it holds a controlling stake. They have also promised to negotiate with shareholders of networks in which they are only a minority holder in order to introduce the brand.

"A wirefree™ future"

Orange has successfully bid for UMTS (3G) licences in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal, Belgium and France. They ended up paying some unbelievable amounts for some of them. For example, the German license cost €8.37 billion, and the UK one the equivalent of €6.8 billion. In the UK, Orange faces the prospect of 3G competition with two of its former owners, as Hutchison returns with its own licence.

Orange Group by country, date of launch, and percentage stake.


http://www.orange.com/english/corporate/
http://www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk/
http://www.baesystems.com/overview/ourevolution.htm
http://www.hateorange.co.uk/
Orange Annual Report 2000
http://news.bbc.co.uk

Orange is also the name of a breakfast and lunch only restaurant and juice bar in Chicago's Lakeview area, open 8am-3pm Tuesday-Sunday. Owned by Matt Miller and Andrew Klemen. Located at the corner of Clark and Belmont (3231 N. Clark St.), Orange is easily accessible by the Red Line (Belmont stop).

Orange's contemporary menu includes items like "Pancake Flight," a platter of pancakes prepared with a key ingredient in four different ways (example: pancakes with fresh plums in brandy, pancakes in a ginger-plum coulis, pancakes in Japanese plum wine sauce, etc). Another item is "Green Eggs and Ham," a pesto omelette with roasted tomatoes and pancetta. Orange is best known for "frushi," sweetened dessert rice with fruit, sliced and arranged to look like sushi. The result is more visually appealing than tasty, but many hip youths swear it is great. I would not consider it haute cuisine, but I give the frushi points for creativity and whimsy.

Orange does not take reservations, so aside from the frushi, the place is well known for the absurd amount of time one must wait for a table.

The color orange occurs about halfway between red and yellow on the visible spectrum, at wavelengths between 585 and 620 nm.

It seems that most human languages did not have a word for the color orange before encountering the orange fruit, as the word for the fruit and the color are identical in most languages.

The English word "orange" comes from Old French orenge which in turn comes from Arabic naranj, which ultimately derives from the Sanskrit naranga ("orange"). Although the "n" survives in Spanish naranja, it was dropped almost immediately from other Latinate languages, perhaps via analogy with Latin aurum ("gold").

Although the word "orange" entered the English language in reference to the fruit prior to 1400, the earliest recorded instance of the word used in reference to the color does not occur until a 1512 will, and did not gain widespread usage until the 1540s. Prior to this time, the color, if distinguished from red or yellow at all, was known only as "yellow-red," a term which was in use as early as Old English geoluread ("yellow-red").

Or"ange (?), n. [F.; cf. It. arancia, arancio, LL. arangia, Sp. naranjia, Pg. laranja; all fr. Ar. naranj, Per. naranj, narang; cf. Skr. naranga orange tree. The o- in F. orange is due to confusion with or gold, L. aurum, because the orange resembles gold in color.]

1.

The fruit of a tree of the genus Citrus (C. Aurantium). It is usually round, and consists of pulpy carpels, commonly ten in number, inclosed in a leathery rind, which is easily separable, and is reddish yellow when ripe.

There are numerous varieties of oranges; as, the bitter orange, which is supposed to be the original stock; the navel orange, which has the rudiment of a second orange imbedded in the top of the fruit; the blood orange, with a reddish juice; and the horned orange, in which the carpels are partly separated.

2. Bot.

The tree that bears oranges; the orange tree.

3.

The color of an orange; reddish yellow.

Mandarin orange. See Mandarin. -- Mock orange Bot., any species of shrubs of the genus Philadelphus, which have whitish and often fragrant blossoms. -- Native orange, ∨ Orange thorn Bot., an Australian shrub (Citriobatus parviflorus); also, its edible yellow berries. -- Orange bird Zool., a tanager of Jamaica (Tanagra zena); -- so called from its bright orange breast. -- Orange cowry Zool., a large, handsome cowry (Cypraea aurantia), highly valued by collectors of shells on account of its rarity. -- Orange grass Bot., an inconspicuous annual American plant (Hypericum Sarothra), having minute, deep yellow flowers. -- Orange oil Chem., an oily, terpenelike substance obtained from orange rind, and distinct from neroli oil, which is obtained from the flowers. -- Orange pekoe, a kind of black tea. -- Orange pippin, an orange-colored apple with acid flavor. -- Quito orange, the orangelike fruit of a shrubby species of nightshade (Solanum Quitoense), native in Quito. -- Orange scale Zool. any species of scale insects which infests orange trees; especially, the purple scale (Mytilaspis citricola), the long scale (M. Gloveri), and the red scale (Aspidiotus Aurantii).

 

© Webster 1913.


Or"ange, a.

Of or pertaining to an orange; of the color of an orange; reddish yellow; as, an orange ribbon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.