More recently, trick is also an adjective that connotes positive attributes.

e.g.: "That's a pretty trick bike ya got there."

The origin of this expression would seem to stem from "tricked out"- a term commonly used by gearheads to describe a highly modified vehicle.

Because of its origin, trick, when used as a adjective tends to imply something that deviates from the norm in a positive manner.

In chess, a trick is a move designed to fool the opponent into making a mistake. In general, the trick move itself appears to be a blunder, often appearing to offer up a piece for free. However, taking the piece will be a mistake and will lead to a superior position for the player attempting the trick. A trick or series of tricks that successfully converts a lost position to a winning position is called a "swindle."

As a general rule, trick moves are not the best move in the position, and rely on the opponent falling for the trick in order to gain any advantage. A strong opponent will see through the trick and refuse to take the bait, leaving the player attempting the trick in an even worse position. Tricks are also often regarded as "cheap" and lacking in class and some players see tricks as being beneath their dignity.

Tricks are very rare at the highest levels of chess, because grandmasters rarely make blunders, so every apparent blunder will be carefully scrutinized in case it might be a trick. Accordingly, at high levels tricks are usually only played in "believable" situations, such as when both players are under time pressure, in blitz and rapid games with shorter time controls, or in a lost position, when a player has little left to lose and a swindle is the only hope for victory.

What’s it like I wonder

sleeping with strangers day after day

for money

for dope

for a living

to breathe

what do you think of

first thing in the morning

when you’re dope sick

and cold

and it hurts to wear clothes

what color is the sky

when you wait to be bought

what goes through your mind

when you pass by a playground

dope sick

and looking for strangers to feed it

what’s it like I wonder

when does it happen

how many until you stop giving a damn

after the first or after the last

how does it feel to die for a living

why is it harder to stop

when you have.

Trick (?), n. [D. trek a pull, or drawing, a trick, trekken to draw; akin to LG. trekken, MHG. trecken, trechen, Dan. traekke, and OFries. trekka. Cf. Track, Trachery, Trig, a., Trigger.]

1.

An artifice or stratagem; a cunning contrivance; a sly procedure, usually with a dishonest intent; as, a trick in trade.

<-- the tricks of the trade mean simply specialized knowledge, in a good or neutral sense. -->

He comes to me for counsel, and I show him a trick. South.

I know a trick worth two of that. Shak.

2.

A sly, dexterous, or ingenious procedure fitted to puzzle or amuse; as, a bear's tricks; a juggler's tricks.

3.

Mischievous or annoying behavior; a prank; as, the tricks of boys.

Prior.

4.

A particular habit or manner; a peculiarity; a trait; as, a trick of drumming with the fingers; a trick of frowning.

The trick of that voice I do well remember. Shak.

He hath a trick of C&oe;ur de Lion's face. Shak.

5.

A knot, braid, or plait of hair.

[Obs.]

B. Jonson.

6. Card Playing

The whole number of cards played in one round, and consisting of as many cards as there are players.

<-- in games such as bridge, in which one side takes the trick, to its advntage. -->

On one nice trick depends the general fate. Pope.

7. Naut.

A turn; specifically, the spell of a sailor at the helm, -- usually two hours.

8.

A toy; a trifle; a plaything.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Syn. -- Stratagem; wile; fraud; cheat; juggle; finesse; sleight; deception; imposture; delusion; imposition.

 

© Webster 1913.


Trick (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tricked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tricking.]

1.

To deceive by cunning or artifice; to impose on; to defraud; to cheat; as, to trick another in the sale of a horse.

2.

To dress; to decorate; to set off; to adorn fantastically; -- often followed by up, off, or out.

" Trick her off in air."

Pope.

People lavish it profusely in tricking up their children in fine clothes, and yet starve their minds. Locke.

They are simple, but majestic, records of the feelings of the poet; as little tricked out for the public eye as his diary would have been. Macaulay.

3.

To draw in outline, as with a pen; to delineate or distinguish without color, as arms, etc., in heraldry.

They forget that they are in the statutes: . . . there they are tricked, they and their pedigrees. B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.