A Multi-User Simulated Environment

Much like a mud or mush, a MUSE is text-based virtual reality in which characters can interact with others within an environment of rooms and objects that can be explored. MUSE, like moo and unlike mud, tends to be more for educational and social purposes, rather than combat and death.

More information can be found at www.musenet.org, www.mu-net.org, among others.
The Greek goddesses who presided over the arts and sciences. They were believed to inspire all artists, especially poets, philosophers, and musicians. The Muses were the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, the goddess of memory.

The number of Muses varies over time; initially there was but one, and later there is mention of three: Melete, Mneme, and Aoede. They were nymphs in Pieria, western Thrace, and their cult was brought to Helicon in Boeotia by the Aloadae. Usually there is mention of nine muses: Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania.

The Muses sat near the throne of Zeus, king of the gods, and sang of his greatness and of the origin of the world and its inhabitants and the glorious deeds of the great heroes. From their name words such as music, museum, mosaic are derived.

---"are you the poet or the muse?"
---"i'm a little bit of both"
(laughter)
---"well, the world can always use a poet but needs a lot more muses."
A poet in San Fransisco made this point and i ponder MY answer- am i a poet or a muse? What are you?
.....and she looks up and sees the sky and she is amused and laughs, goes home, and writes a poem.
.....laughter. The poet offers anecdotes to life's trials, errors, loves, death, etc which the muse inspires. The poet in turn inspires the audience. and so, a circle begins; interdependency entwines both the poet and the muse.
In mythology the Muses presided over and inspired music, poetry, dancing and the Liberal Arts. They were protected by Apollo, with whom they were often seen on high Mount Parnassus as young and beautiful virgins. They were the children of Jupiter (in Greek myth, Zeus) and Mnemosyne (Memory). The home of the Muses was the wooded Mount Helicon where they were visited by Minerva (in Greek myth, Athene), who wished to see the miraculous Hippocrene, a fountain which a blow from the winged horse Pegasus' hoof had caused to flow from the earth. The Muses were also said to have guarded the springs of lofty Mount Parnassus, on which the Castalian spring was thought to be the source of poetic inspiration. A museum (literally, a home of seat of the Muses) was originally the term applied to an institution dedicated to learning, literature and the arts; an example was the Academy at Alexandria in the 3rd century BC. A museum still suggests a place where antiquities are housed, as distinct from a gallery, also of ancient origin, where colonnades were used for the display of poetry.

Name:        Meaning:            Branch of Arts:
Calliope     Beautiful voice     Epic poetry
Clio         Fame                History
Erato        Lovely              Lyric poetry
Euterpe      Joy                 Music
Melpomene    Singing             Tragic drama
Polyhymnia   Many songs          Mime and sacred lyrics
Terpsichore  Joyful dance        Dance
Thalia       Good cheer/Plenty   Comic drama
Urania       Celestial           Astronomy

The Greeks gave the title of Muse to nine of their most distinguished female poets: Praxilla, Moero, Anyte, Erinna, Telesilla, Corinna, Nossis, Myrtis, and Sappho. Three older muses were known beside the 9: Melete (Meditation), Mneme (Remembrance), Aoide (Song). Athenians offered sacrifices to the muses in the schools, as did the Spartans before battle. They share the knowledge of past, present and future with Apollo, their leader (Musagetes).

Ballroom-dancing punk poets with fire in their eyes and grit in their veins - NME

I nearly choked to death on a Smarties cap - Chris Wolstenhome

Hailing from Teignmouth in Devon UK band Muse were formed in 1993 under the name Gothic Plague when Matthew Bellamy (Vocals & Guitar), Chris Wolstenhome (bass) and Dominic Howard (drums) were just 13. Bored with their less than bustling locality they started playing together and performing covers of famous 80s rock tracks. The band stayed together throughout their teens but their name progressed to Fixed Penalty and then Rocket Baby Dolls before they settled on Muse. It was during this time that they developed away from the Brit Pop scene that had captivated the UK. Apart from Radiohead they looked across to the US for inspiration and go it from the likes of the Smashing Pumpkins and Primus. On top of these groups, like any teenage rock fans of the time, they were hugely influenced by Nirvana as can be seen on tracks like Uno.

The group remained an idle past time until they entered a regional battle of the band contest populated by "fretwanking Jamirowannabes". They decided to take the piss by dressing up with full make up and then they trashed the stage. To the band's surprise they won and they realised that it was time to get serious. Being 250 miles from London did not make their job any easier but in 1998 they attracted some interest from minor records companies and they were flown to the US to perform. Here interest really began to take off and they were signed to Madonna's Maverick label. Following a series of deals across the world Muse released the first single, aptly titled Uno, in 1998. Following a number of other single releases the dropped their first album, Showbiz in 1999.

In early 2000 Muse toured the US with the likes of the Foo Fighters and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Through this they were inspired to become more adventurous on stage and they transformed from indie band teenagers into an exciting and thrilling live performers. It was this new energy that inspired their new frantic style in Origin of Symmetry. No more was Muse a simple Radiohead clone, they had developed into energising and frenetic rock band. From their opening single from Origin of Symmetry, Plug in Baby, a song about "how it would be really cool if we could genetically engineer puppies that never grow old", to their cover of the Nina Simone classic, Feeling Good, Muse have proved that they can and have developed their own style.


Great Neb's Picks

If you liked this then...


Discography

Showbiz, 1999

Showbiz hints at the potential in this young band, and it should be of interest to many Radiohead fans - Tom Demalon, AMG Reviewer
Passionate and loud and also unexpectedly gentle - Rolling Stone Magazine
It's hard not to become thoroughly intoxicated by its dusky beauty - Glen Sansome, CMJ
  1. Sunburn
  2. Muscle Museum
  3. Fillip
  4. Falling Down
  5. Cave
  6. Showbiz
  7. Unintended
  8. Uno
  9. Sober
  10. Escape
  11. Overdue
  12. Hate This & I'll Love You

It is easy to see the Radiohead influence in Muse with their first release, indeed some have dismissed the entire album as poor imitation. To a large extent it can be said that Muse are just indulging in an art that Radiohead pioneered and are failing to live up to its creators. However any new musical movement must have its imitators just as much as it must have its founders and Muse have proved an accomplished exploration of the genre. Listening to the album more carefully will give you a glimpse into the musical development of Muse as they grew up. Glimps of Nirvana can be seen along with other key rock bands of the early nineties and delve a little deeper and Queen influence nestles even further under the surface.

An excellent debut and definitely worth owning despite the Radiohead simlarities.

Origin of Symmetry, 2001

Origin Of Symmetry is a fascinating, flamboyant and satisfyingly individual album - Louis Pattison, Amazon.com reviewer
Like Blofeld on a power trip. Fronting a heavy metal band. In space. Don't even think about trying to resist. - Ian Watson
  1. New Born
  2. Bliss
  3. Space Dementia
  4. Hyper Music
  5. Plug In Baby
  6. Citizen Erased
  7. Micro Cuts
  8. Screenager
  9. Dark Shines
  10. Feeling Good
  11. Megalomania

Muse came into their own with this album. Moving out of the shadows of Radiohead they have indulged themselves with a full blown rock album. "The new Queen" come the cries. Well perhaps not yet but the change of direction, inspired largely by their 2000 US tour, move them more into that style and away from their recognisable melancholic melodies on Showbiz. Almost universally recognised as a criminally self indulgent album reviewers still seem unable to resist the charms of this UK threesome. Origin of Symettry is hugely more convoluted than Showbiz as they pile up the backing lines with organs and orchestras. Bellamy explains this away as his fascination with classical music and opera although that all sounds a little too convenient. However this album shows a promising new direction for the band and with luck they will look to learn from their self indulgence to produce what looks to be a truly great third album.

Hullabaloo, 2002

Bellamy's vocal anguish is painfully romantic ? think Jeff Buckley and more conservative Thom Yorke - MacKenzie Wilson, AMG
  1. Shrinking Universe
  2. Recess
  3. Yes Please
  4. Map of Your Head
  5. Nature
  6. Shine (Acoustic)
  7. Ashamed
  8. Jimmy Kane
  9. The Gallery
  10. Hyper Chondriac Music
  11. Dead Star
  12. Micro Cuts
  13. Citizen Erased
  14. Sunburn (Piano)
  15. Showbiz
  16. Megalomania
  17. Dark Shines
  18. Screenager
  19. Space Dementia
  20. In Your World
  21. Muscle Museum
  22. Agitated

Hullabaloo is a DVD recording of a live performance by Muse at Le Zenith in Paris in 2001. I have not seen the DVD but I have heard the album and it is full of all the energy you would expect from such a frenetic and exciting group. It is a reminder of how good Muse really had become since you first heard that screaming guitar first in 2000. The DVD is packed with extra features such as a documentary and clips of all Muse songs released so far. There is also a second disk which contains all Muse's singles and B sides. The only thing to watch out for is which version of the disk you are buying, DVD or audio, and whether the second disk is included. An excellent retrospective on two years that have sen Muse emerge at the forefront of British rock music.

Absolution, 2003

Newcomers to the band should expect killer guitars reminiscent of jackhammers and chainsaws, bloodcurdling choruses, and, of course, tender passages of falsetto - Tim DiGravina, AMG
Absolution just tends to sound like the sort of frustration only a fourteen-year-old can truly experience - contactmusic.com
  1. Intro
  2. Apocalypse Please
  3. Time Is Running Out
  4. Sing for Absolution
  5. Stockholm Syndrome
  6. Falling Away With You
  7. Interlude
  8. Hysteria
  9. Blackout
  10. Butterflies and Hurricanes
  11. The Small Print
  12. Endlessly
  13. Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
  14. Ruled by Secrecy

So here it is, the third album from Muse, the album that two years ago I thought would be "truly great". Well, I was wrong (take note, you won't hear that very often). It's still high powered rock music with all that trademark Muse emotional intensity but rarely does it graduate beyond that. You still feel like three guys have gone into a recording studio and have bet each other in turn that they can't include instrument x on song y. They still get it right sometimes, the single release, Time is Running Out, is an excellent track but it is somewhat on its own. If you like Muse, you'll like this album, even if you don't like Muse, you'll like this album but it could have been so much more. The genius is there in the band, you almost sense, like a football team, that they just need a fresh approach, a producer they really click with for example, to fulfil what they have been promising us for nearly four years now.


http://www.btinternet.com/~mrgnet/muse/index.html
http://www.allmusic.com/
http://www.mushroomuk.com/
http://www.dotmusic.com/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/

In bold type i'm written
And there's not much space
Between my lines
Our conversation academic
Reminds me why I write
Stuttered recollections
Imperfections of immediacy
Glaring in my speech
My nerves twitch
With caffeine, with longing
As you play the muse
We embrace as you leave
A fleeting glimpse
Inspires fifteen lines
Of stilted verse

Muse (?), n. [From F. musse. See Muset.]

A gap or hole in a hedge, hence, wall, or the like, through which a wild animal is accustomed to pass; a muset.

Find a hare without a muse. Old Prov.

 

© Webster 1913.


Muse, n. [F. Muse, L. Musa, Gr. . Cf. Mosaic, n., Music.]

1. Class. Myth.

One of the nine goddesses who presided over song and the different kinds of poetry, and also the arts and sciences; -- often used in the plural.

Granville commands; your aid, O Muses, bring: What Muse for Granville can refuse to sing? Pope.

⇒ The names of the Muses were Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polymnia or Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania.

2.

A particular power and practice of poetry.

Shak.

3.

A poet; a bard.

[R.]

Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Muse, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Mused (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Musing.] [F. muser to loiter or trifle, orig., to stand with open mouth, fr. LL. musus, morsus, muzzle, snout, fr. L. morsus a biting, bite, fr. mordere to bite. See Morsel, and cf. Amuse, Muzzle, n.]

1.

To think closely; to study in silence; to meditate.

"Thereon mused he."

Chaucer.

He mused upon some dangerous plot. Sir P. Sidney.

2.

To be absent in mind; to be so occupied in study or contemplation as not to observe passing scenes or things present; to be in a brown study.

Daniel.

3.

To wonder.

[Obs.]

Spenser. B. Jonson.

Syn. -- To consider; meditate; ruminate. See Ponder.

 

© Webster 1913.


Muse, v. t.

1.

To think on; to meditate on.

Come, then, expressive Silence, muse his praise. Thomson.

2.

To wonder at.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Muse, n.

1.

Contemplation which abstracts the mind from passing scenes; absorbing thought; hence, absence of mind; a brown study.

Milton.

2.

Wonder, or admiration.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.