Street in New Orleans named for the muse Calliope (kuh-LIE-oh-pee), but pronounced KALL-ee-ope.

Also the name of a neighborhood including that street, where Lil Romeo is from (which is why he gives a shout out in My Baby: "Calliope, ya heard me?").

Καλλιοπη

One of the Muses; she was not originally associated with any one particular art form as were her sisters, but from the start of the Alexandrian period she was regarded as Muse of lyric poetry. Calliope is sometimes said to have been the mother of the Sirens and of Linus and Rhesus. She also appears in some legends as the arbitress in the quarrel over Adonis between Persephone and Aphrodite.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources
- Hyg. Astron. 2, 7
- schol. on Hom. Il. 10, 435
- Apollod. Bibl. 1, 3, 4

Cal*li"o*pe (?), n. [L. Calliope, Gr. , lit, the beautiful-voiced; pref. kalli- (from kallos beautiful) +, , voice.]

1. Class. Myth.

The Muse that presides over eloquence and heroic poetry; mother of Orpheus, and chief of the nine Muses.

2. Astron.

One of the astreids. See Solar.

3.

A musical instrument consisting of series of steam whistles, toned to the notes of the scale, and played by keys arranged like those of an organ. It is sometimes attached to steamboat boilers.

4. Zool.

A beautuful species of humming bird (Stellula Calliope) of California and adjacent regions.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.