Slang terminology used on Jim Rome's radio show. Here's a partial list:



This is a work in progress.

Source: http://www.jimrome.com/
Some more entries:
  • Chowds - short for Chowderheads, as defined above
  • Clones - Rome listeners and fans.
  • Cycling Guy (Soccer Guy, Track Guy, etc.) - the one guy in the office that finds it necessary to wear his following of a minor sport as a badge of honor. Manifested in such ways as buying a Lance Armstrong USPS jersey and cycling to work during or after another Tour de France victory (and stinking up the place, since he can't take a shower on arrival), wearing a Manchester United jersey despite the fact that he's never been within 3,000 miles of Old Trafford, trying to spread the gospel that others really just don't care about, and other such obnoxious traits.
  • Huge Call - call containing multiple takes, usually in quick succession, that do not suck. One Huge Call of the Day is named each show.
  • Jungle - the show, or sometimes just the studio. Callers and guests alike are welcomed to the Jungle when they first speak; Rome may reference the studio this way when saying that "Steve Elkington just decided to stop by the Jungle today -- how're you doing, Elk?"
  • Pimp in the Box (the) - nickname for Rome himself
  • Rack him - said by Rome after a Huge Call; racked calls are reviewed during breaks at the end to determine the Huge Call of the Day.
  • Rae-enthal - former Carolina Panthers wide receiver Rae Carruth, convicted of murder for having his pregnant wife killed
  • Raiderfan (Chargerfan, Pacerfan, etc.) - short term used for any team's fans in general, e.g. Even the LAPD is afraid of Raiderfan.
  • take - opinion. Rome's commandment to callers is "Have a take, do not suck."
  • Van Smack - nickname for Rome himself
  • WAR - from Auburn's "War Eagle" battle cry, a term of approval, usually used at the end of a call right before the caller hangs up. For example, I might say "War Virginia Tech, war Blacksburg Tour Stop, war five-year plan. I'm out."

The key to enjoying Rome is to remember that his show is not a "hard sports" show (in the sense that, say, CNN Newsday is hard news), but is rather as much about the callers as anything else. Perhaps half of Rome's calls and e-mails in each show are actually about sports; the rest are basically the clones talking smack about each other.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.