Otherwise nondescript area of south Manchester, a couple of miles southwest of the centre down the Chester Road between Belle Vue and Stretford, mainly known for two major sports grounds:

  • The headquarters of Lancashire County Cricket Club, which is also one of the six seven grounds at which England play home test matches. Cricket was first played here in 1857, when it was the home of Manchester Cricket Club; the county moved in in 1864 and the first Test match there was played against Australia in 1884 (rain forced a draw, predictably). The ground holds around 20 000 spectators and is also used for outdoor concerts.
  • The home since the early 1900s of Manchester United Football club (pending rumours of a move out to a greenfield site). Capacity 67 700 76 212 as of April 2007. Nauseatingly enough, sometimes referred to as "the Theatre of Dreams" by the sections of the popular press totally lacking a sense of irony.

Apart from MUFC match days (when special traffic arrangements will undoubtedly apply) the best way to get there is by Metrolink tram from the city centre to Old Trafford station (formerly called Warwick Road; at that time the existing Trafford Bar stop was called Old Trafford, to confuse unwary supporters of visiting teams) which is right beside the cricket ground. Both grounds have club shops (the "Manchester United Megastore" is much mocked by fans of other teams), museums and guided tours for those who like such things.

Avalyn points out that the Memorial Hospital on Seymour Grove (now Stretford Memorial Hospital, NHS outpatient services only) was the birthplace of Ian Curtis of Joy Division. That should give you an idea of the general atmosphere of the area. 


Thanks to JohnnyGoodyear for the previous MUFC capacity.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.