Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka is a strange book. It is strange in subject, the transformation of the main character, Gregor, from human to bug, but it is also strange in its use of symbolism. The real theme of this book is the alienation of the individual in an uncaring society. There are several examples of this alienation on different levels, two of which I will discuss here.

The first alienation is noticed if the book is just taken at face value and not pondered too much. From the moment his family realizes what happened to Gregor, they disown him. They are not concerned for their son's well being, they only miss the paycheck he brought home. The only family member who seems to care at all is his sister, and she seems to believe caring for her brother is a chore, not something done out of love. His mother faints at the very sight of him and his father physically strikes him. It is true that he is alienated as much as possible from the affections of his family.

The alienation that is harder to see is the true theme of this book, the disposable quality of an individual living in a communist society. This book did not make any sense to me until I learned that the author, Franz Kafka, wrote this book in a communist society. Gregor is a tool, only one part of a much larger machine. This machine, the communist state, is unthinking and uncaring about the well being of its parts. When Gregor does not report to work, his only value to the state is lost, and therefore he is abandoned and alienated by society.

In conclusion, I believe this is a "good" book because it is interesting on more than one level. It can be considered and enjoyed by witnessing a person change into a bug. However, it can also be looked at as a social comment, a cry for help from the common man. "good" books appeal to many readers looking for many things, and this book does just that.

node your homework!