I achieve a low-level state of heightened awareness from a very small ingestion of nutmeg. Incredibly small amounts of it will produce the effect. It causes my tongue to tingle just so. I'll notice the effect from just an eighth of a teaspoon of nutmeg in an apple pie. One little slice, and something in my head switches on. It's the same sort of feeling I get when I eat tree ear mushrooms in Vietnamese Spring Rolls, although nutmeg seems to have a distinctly dark edge to its otherworldlyness. It leaves you uneasy. Perhaps that's why it's the perfect companion for eggnog during the holidays. Eggnog just before midnight mass with lots of incense and choral music. Sounds a lot like Boone's Farm in the woods with shrooms and Tangerine Dream to me.

Nutmeg is also at the heart of the funniest Beavis and Butthead skit. They're watching this lo-fi video by John Spencer Blues Explosion. The video looks like it was filmed in a basement with a handheld VHS recorder (and probably was). Outfits and sets are constructed from wire hangers and aluminum foil. All throughout the video, Beavis and Butthead are enthralled by what they're seeing. "A Video!" exclaims Beavis gleefully. "Yeah, not only can you hear the music, you can see stuff too" chimes in Butthead. They're genuinely excited about this awful video. At the end, Beavis asks Butthead, "Got any more nutmeg? No? That's OK, I'm cool man." Never laughed so damn hard as the first time I saw that.