Chain letter emails all feature several things:

  • A hook to get you to read it.
  • Some bits of supposed information, which is almost certainly false upon closer inspection.
  • Something to motivate you to send it on further, such as supposed good/bad karma, greed, etc.

Though these are commonalities, there are several types of chain letter email.

The Hoax
Chain emails of this sort usually reference things like the Good Times virus, or something else out to destroy you/your computer in an absurd fashion. With the advent of email scripting in certain email clients, it has become harder to squash outbreaks of this type.

The Urban Legend
If you read these, you will learn that:

  • You shouldn't flash lights at other cars to get them to turn their lights on.
  • You should avoid friendly people in foreign countries -- they want your kidneys.
  • You shouldn't check change return slots because of HIV-infected needles.

The What If It's True
These will promise you $1000.00, a free copy of Windows 2000, or somesuch if you'll just forward that email, preferably with headers intact.

The Poor Sick Boy or Girl
These tell you that some poor sick boy or girl needs you to send them a postcard. Or that the American Cancer Society will give 3 cents for each person it's forwarded to -- headers intact, of course.

The Are You My Friend
This email usually features an inspiring message and the comment you should send it to all your friends, especially the person who sent it to you.