The Mercedes-Benz guide to naming their cars

Mercedes-Benz employs a standard naming convention to their cars in a similar matter to BMW's style.

With the exception of C-Class, most Mercedes models will have a three-digit number followed by a letter (in a C-Class, the letter usually comes first).

The letters represent the class of car, and the categories are quite general, because the cars used to have specialized names, and they have since been simplified:

C - Compact - Although now it is more akin to a the budget class (like the 3-series of BMW fame).
E - Einspritz, or Fuel Injection - More akin to the middle class. Now a placeholder letter because all Mercedes-Benz' are fuel-injected nowadays. Some people now say E stands for "Executive"
S - Super - The higher class of Mercedes.
L - Lang, or Long, usually referring to the wheelbase.
D - Diesel
M - Multipurpose, Mobility (SUV)
SL - Sports, Light-weight
LK - Light-weight kurz (short, sporty car)
V - Versatile, Van I haven't seen this one in the U.S.
A - I don't know this one. This is a very compact model, found in Euorpe. I've heard "Alpha".
G - Gelandewagen, or Land Wagon. These things look like Hummers, and I've only seen them at car shows.
R - Roadster An old name no longer used (replaced by 'SL')

The number that follows the class refers to the engine's displacement, which is the volume of the cylinders, measured in centiliters. So a E320 is a 3.2 liter fuel-injection car.

There's also the 190 class, in which you have names like "190E 2.3" in which the last number refers to the engine size (in liters). I know, it's weird. But useful for the most part.

*This is the only plausible phrase I've heard that makes sense for 'E'. If anyone knows why else C or E or used, /msg me...