The original South Indian method ...
- Strip off any loose fibers from the coconut.
- Wet the coconut thoroughly
- Find a flat hard surface and a bowl to put the coconut water in.
- The crown of the coconut has three black spots spaced at 120 degrees. There are also three visible ridges between the spots.
- Slam the coconut on the hard surface, aiming for the ridges. Do not hit too hard. It may take several blows to crack.
- When a crack appears, allow the water to drain into the bowl.
- Finally separate the two halves of the coconut completely.
- Slurp .. gulp the coconut water.
If it wasn't yummy then the coconut's not fresh.