This is a coarse German noodle that can be made by hand or with a device that looks something like an oversized garlic press. The best quality of this noodle is that it goes very well with sauces that are not quite so thick, such as those from casseroles or perhaps roasts. It soaks up the juices, has a nice texture and is filling and easy to make.

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour / plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
water as needed

Mixing is a simple process of throwing all of the above ingredients into a bowl and mixing. The one required special technique is to pump air into the mixture by drawing a wooden spoon through the mixture by pulling the spoon from the bottom of the bowl through the mizture to the top. You'll know you are doing it right when you see bubbles start to rise at the surface of the dough. Mix until your arm aches and then some more. If you need more moisture in the mixture add another egg rather than some water. The eggs make it good.

To cook the spatzle bring a large quantity of water to boil. To make each noodle like spatzle, either use a "spatzle machine" or use the traditional method. Get a cutting board or other light flat surface (preferrably thin) and spread the dough thinly over the board. Using a long thin knife, or something else long and thin (maybe even a spatula), cut and slide off ribbons of dough into the water. Don't worry about odd shapes and formations. It takes some practice and suitable implements to get the shape even. It is good if you can process a batch quickly so that cooking times won't vary too much.

The dough will sink to the bottom of the water and rise as it cooks. Let the spatzle cook at the surface for 20 seconds or so. Harvest your reward from the water and place them into a colander or other draining device. I prefer to plunge them straight into a large bowl of cold water to keep them fresh and firm. If you taste test and they taste a little floury you haven't cooked them enough.

Serve them with lashings (that's lots and lots) of gravy or sauce from rouladen or sauerbraten (Sour roasted beef). Keep the leftovers in the fridge and fry them up the next day in some butter until they are nice and brown. You can even add an egg and other leftovers for a spatzle omelette.