My grandpa, as I have mentioned before, is the coolest man on the face of the earth; or at least in my own little world. He is on the older side and for as long as I can remember he has been retired. What does he do to fill his long workless days other than eat, sleep and watch TV? Why, he works in his garden of course. My grandfather owns a nice plot of rich Ohio soil, and forever my grandfather has done something agricultural with it, even while he worked in the local factory.

Out of the many many things my grandpa grows, he grows horseradish. Horseradish is one of those things that you should only harvest in months whose names have an "R" in them. For example, March. He usually uses his free time in the winter to process it for the coming months, but recently the ground has been too frozen to dig it up. I guess he wanted us to take some home so that we could enjoy the horseradish goodness instead of giving us a jar like he normally does. Maybe he wanted help digging it up, but whatever the circumstance the three of us found ourselves traipsing out there one chilly March day in search of some good horseradish.

How many people have dug up their yards? How many people have ever been encouraged to dig up the yard? While we were digging for horseradish we were pulling up some sod too. Interestingly I went to put all the dirt back in neatly so that the grass would grow back, my grandpa stopped me, "No don’t put it back in like that, I don’t want the grass to grow, I want the horseradish to grow instead". I stood there and cracked up. How many people would admonish someone for not trying to kill the grass?


Grandpa's Horseradish Recipie

  • 1 cup horseradish (peeled and chunked)
  • 1 cup water

Grind the two in a blender until smooth.

That’s it. Store in the fridge, this stuff will last FOREVER.