It's hard picking up the pieces.

It's hard remembering who you are

Sometimes the only way to survive is to focus on our passion. Life is just a series of well placed distractions, a billboard, and a tragedy here or there. The only way to make it in this island is to distract ourselves long enough to forget about our own fundamental insignificance. We build these little distracting devices throughout our lives; these things like work, or cars, sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

So when it comes to relationships and love, it's not very surprising that we develop coping methods:

"You know, it's not you... It's me"

We further develop phrases that become so cliché, so as to avoid telling people that we just don't care anymore:

"Ah... I love you, but I'm not in love with you."(let them down easy)

So you see, we are creatures of habit, and we will therefore rely on our ritualistic methods to get us through day-to-day life. When we encounter something difficult like breaking up with someone, we tend to fall back on these instinctive distractive habits.

Hate, is only a different form of love. One can't really say the opposite of love is hate for the same reason you cannot say that the devil is the opposite of God. Different ends of the spectrum, yes indeed, but not polar. Because we cannot accept the fact that the significant other has gotten over the relationship, we channel the love we have for that person in the form of anger. "Why won't you love me??" So as to not look unsophisticated or weak, the hate comes out of the individual to mask the love that burns deep within their heart. The shift to the opposite end of the spectrum only denotes the deep love that one really has for someone.

Apathy, however, is a totally different story. Apathy is truly the opposite of both love and hate, alike. The capacity to not feel animosity towards someone – the capacity to not feel a burning passion for someone… That is truly the opposite of love, is truly the opposite of hate.