My God!

What has come over these poor misguided souls?! Don't they understand this dish needs meat?! They sully this hearty stampede with the absence of tenderly butchered pig flesh!

BLASPHEMERS!!!

Vegetables are just wonderful when kept in their proper place. However, some recipes should not be adjusted so that their collective chakras become more radiant. This is one of them.

Allow me, gentle noders who eat, to toss these vegestines from the temple of a savory, sumptuous kitchen. This place needs more decadence. Let's begin.

What You Will Need

What You Will Do

Cream the butter in a small bowl until it is light and fluffy. In another bowl whisk the eggs and egg yolks together until they are well-blended. Add half of the cheese.

Warm a large ovenproof serving bowl in a 200° oven. Make your pasta.

Get out your handy skillet and fry that bacon over medium heat until it is nice and crispy. Note: keep long-fingernailed bacon nibblers out of your kitchen at this point in the operation. If this is impossible, just make extra.

Pour off about half the fat and stir the cream and optional dried red peppers in to the pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and keep it warm until the pasta is finished. Once the pasta is drained, time becomes important because the heat of the pasta is vital to the welfare of this dish.

Get the serving dish out of the oven. Transfer the pasta to the dish and add the butter. Toss and turn the pasta until the butter lovingly coats every micrometer of every strand. Then stir in the warm and inviting bacon-and-cream combo. Finally add the eggs and cheese. Mix everything together with passion and heightened anticipation. (Note: the heat from the pasta and other ingredients will cook the raw eggs on contact.)

Serve this immediately with the remaining cheese. If you have thought ahead, you will have a warm loaf of Italian bread waiting for company. A hearty red wine goes along with this quite well.

This is so incredibly yummy and rich. In my house this is a Special Occassion meal, usually contained within the Thanksgiving -- Christmas -- New Year's window. I normally boost the bacon, butter and cream just a wee bit to go with the two pounds of pasta I make.

If you're the type that needs to balance your indulgences, you may want to try something lighter the next day.

Enjoy.