Illuminati, The

First published in 1988 American Theatre Magazine, NY - May

a play

by Larry Larson & Levi Lee

This extremely surreal piece covers conspiracies, religion, life and death, and canonization in a series of somewhat related sketches or vignettes. The play is comprised of just 2 actors who rotate through a variety of roles. One well-known sketch involves Reverend Eddie delivering his sermon "Life is Like a Basketball Game", accompanied by his faithful lackey, Brother Lawrence.

The performance I saw was performed in 1992 at Live Arts in Charlottesville, Virginia. Michael Parent played Reverend Eddie, Larry Goldstein played Brother Lawrence. It really is hilarious, and Michael Parent and Larry Goldstein were made for the part. As it was over 12 years ago, I have only a vague memory to go on, but a few moments stand out. In one sketch, Larry Goldstein's character (no longer playing Brother Lawrence) is seeking sainthood. There's a witty exchange about virgin martyrhood, and he is able to supply the bureaucrat overseeing sainthood with two miracles, but not a third. When told he needs a third he takes out a large road map to head back. The bureaucrat says, "Wait, did you fold that map back up by yourself?" "Yes..." "That's three." Got a lot of laughs from the audience on that one. I don't want to give the ending away in case the show ever shows up in your town, but let's just say the next-to-last scene is a half-court basketball game betwee Reverend Eddie and Death.