Smoked salmon is technically raw, but it's been cured (with salt, sugar and oil) and then smoked (usually for about 6 to 12 hours, depending on thickness), so it's not the sort of raw raw fish to use in sushi or sashimi.

If you start with good fish, you'll end up with good smoked fish. If you buy the cheap offcuts of mass-produced bargain smoked salmon, vacuum packed and overchilled from the supermarket, do not expect a miracle. it will taste like plastic. Good smoked salmon is expensive. Wild salmon and farmed salmon do not taste the same. Salmon that has been cured in small batches over aromatic woods and herbs does not taste the same as a factory processed fish.

Splash out a little, go to the fishmonger or the fancy deli and ask them to order some real smoked salmon.

If you're just eating it slammed into a hurried lunchtime bagel, with a slathering of crappy low-fat cream cheese, it doesn't really matter if you are chewing plastic strips of not-so-good fish. But if you're eating smoked salmon plain, all tender and shiny and full of its own moisture, with just a little brown bread, butter and a small squeezing of fresh lemon, oh, you'll taste the difference in texture and taste.