A brilliant computer puzzle game developed by Accursed Toys. The PC version was published by Apogee Software, as shareware, in November 1994. It was originally developed for the Amiga and that version was published in May 1992, but only 284 copies of that were ever sold, sadly. Although this writeup will primarily discuss the PC version (since it's the only one I have), the primary differences of the Amiga version are that it only had 32 colours and it had a different plot (it was changed to make way for an increased number of levels).

The two heros are Yeet and Boik, computer game characters, inhabitants of an alternate universe (Arcapaedia) created and maintained by the dreams and belief of their fans. Each episode has a plot, the first involving the pure and sweet Hunnybunz trapping the monsters of computer games inside specially-shaped blocks in an attempt to 'clean up' the world of computer games, and the rest repeating this ploy in various guises (ie: revenge of family members). The heros must rescue the monsters by "bopping" these shaped blocks, as explained below.

Levels are made up of blocks, elevators, refractors, prizes and two starting points. The game involves throwing blocks picked up from the starting point (one for each player in two-player games, only one is used in one-player) at blocks of the same type which are already in the levels. The blocks are thrown at 45 degree angles, and can be bounced off refractors placed in strategic parts of the levels. The blocks already in the level can be pushed around, and of course the prizes can be collected.

If a thrown block hits a wall/floor, flies off the level or hits a block of another type, then the block is destroyed and the player loses a life. If a thrown block goes through a randomly-chosen space on the level called the mystery spot, then the player gains bonuses. If a thrown block, when it collides with the blocks of the same type, makes a special shape - a square or a cross - then a monster is freed from the blocks. At the end of a level, bonus points are handed out for freed monsters. A two-player mode is available, which is simply the same as the one-player mode except the other starting position is used, and you're competing for points, which makes the game a lot more fast-paced.

There are 160 levels in the registered version, most of which have completely different graphics, leading to enormous variety. Each level is newly fascinating, despite the similar gameplay, and requires new tactics if it is to be conquered. The editor used to create all of the levels in the game is included, and you can use it to edit any level which came with the game, as well as create your own. The editor is mouse-enabled and quite capable, and using it to view all the tiles available shows you how varied the levels actually are.

The first episode, which was released freely as shareware, is called "Bothersome Hunnybunz!". The other three episodes, which were only available with the registered version, are called "Significant Other of Hunnybunz!", "Love Child of Hunnybunz!" and "Hunnyvunz Defrocked!". The last episode listed ingame is "Aleph-Zero Hunnybunz!", but is actually just the option to play custom levels created using the editor.

The specially-composed music is one of the best parts of the game, ideally fitting the gameplay. The names of the music tracks are:

The blood and suicide sequences in this game were quite gory, the initial bloody logo could not be turned off, but the suicide sequences could be. A later version of the game removed all of it, requiring a command-line parameter 'blood' for it to be shown.


System Requirements: 386, 2mb of RAM, VGA. Supports: mouse, joystick, various sound cards.