This article is the Daily Mail's take on this perspective piece in Nature Reviews Cancer. The latter is not in the public domain but should be freely available if you have access via an academic institution or large library. Perspective pieces are not subject to the same kind of scrutiny as research articles and offer a space for opinion, reflection and the airing of controversy. The authors are palaeopathologists with, as far as I can ascertain from PubMed, no publication record in epidemiology or cancer biology.


The perspective piece presents an overview of studies on mummified Egyptian remains, claiming « a scarcity of cancer in the earliest remains » reflects a low incidence of cancer in the sample population. As the authors are doubtless aware, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Accurate epidemiological data are difficult to obtain in the best of circumstances. Analysis of a limited number of poorly preserved ancient specimens is unlikely to furnish it. Further, mummification was an expensive and time-consuming process – one not all of ancient Egypt's decedents would have been subject to, depending on factors including income, status, ethno-cultural group and religious belief. Mummified specimens are unlikely then to provide a randomised cross-sectional sample required for plausible epidemiological claims. As the authors admit, « other possible factors to explain this lack of evidence include the limitations of the diagnostic methods used by early investigators to study these remains, and the insufficiency of data to provide a reliable rate of cancer incidence. » The fact that the authors offer no quantitative data for their epidemiological assertions renders them difficult to seriously assess.


The authors seek further evidence of the ancient scarcity of cancer through literature, claiming « limited evidence » that ancient Egyptian physicians accurately diagnosed cancer. Even if this is true (in fact not uncontroversial), from the fragmentary medical papyri available, this does not constitute evidence that cancer was rare in antiquity. The authors admit that in ancient Greek medical texts, tumours were « common enough to be widely studied and recorded  », claiming this may reflect an increase in incidence or diagnosis. On the supplied evidence, these conclusions are tenuous.


The article goes on to argue that lifespan does not adequately explain the (claimed) lower incidence of cancer in ancient Egypt as mummies show evidence of other age-related conditions such as atherosclerosis, Paget's disease and arthritis. It should be noted that these conditions - particularly arthritis, which is almost a uniform age-related finding - have a much higher rate of incidence than cancers and so are much more likely to be present in analysed remains.


There is excellent evidence to demonstrate that environmental factors – some of which are anthropogenic - such as exposure to ionising radiation and certain chemical agents increase gene mutation and cancer incidence. This speculative article is bad science and does not constitute such evidence.