Ars Magica

One of the three general character classes in the role-playing game Ars Magica, "grog" is the commonly used slang term for the supporting cast, as it were, at the magi's Covenant. Grogs are the guards, scouts and fighters who protect the magi; the servants, stablehands, cooks, messengers, gardeners, herbalists, etc.

Grogs are a shared player resource. When joining an Ars Magica saga, each player creates one Magus (or Maga), one Companion, and one or more grogs. In a given story, each player will play either his or her Magus/Maga or Companion, and simultaneously one or more grogs.

The collective noun for grogs is turb — ergo, "a turb of grogs" — from Latin turba, meaning "gang," "turmoil" or "confusion." In the game world, the term grog was first coined by the guards at the covenant of Doissetep. Grogs themselves use the term, so the sobriquet has spread throughout much of the Order. Elite grogs, though — the warriors and servants that accompany and protect magi on their travels — are called custodes {sing. custos), and often receive special regard and treatment by the magi.

Game Mechanics

Grogs' characteristics are determined at character creation just like Magi and Companions (whether you use the rolling method or points purchase method). However, grogs only may spend a maximum of 3 Flaw points for selecting Flaws and Virtues. All grogs begin with the basic Abilities of Speak Own Language 4, and Brawl 1, and receive an additional number of Experience Points equal to double their age with which to purchase other Abilities: Talents, Skills and Knowledges.

Source: