After spending time in various parts of Europe I have learnt that if you want to cross a road safely in Europe you have to take strangely varying tactics. Below I have a list of Countries and capitals (I have separated capitals from their countries because they often have their own driving styles) which will grow, hopefully, as I gain experience in more locations. Please feel free to add to my database:
  • Britain - Often considered to be the safest place to cross the road but not completely true. If there is a zebra crossing, wait on the pavement and cars will happily stop to let you cross. Do not step out into the path of an incoming car! British drivers are very happy to cede their right of way if asked nicely. If it is demanded of them they will do everything in their power to keep it!!
  • France - Waiting on the pavement by a crossing is nigh on useless. To get the French to stop you normally have to take at least one step into the road. The cars on the far carriageway will not necessarily stop until you have taken your second or third step
  • Paris - Don't even think about it!! if you have to cross the road take a taxi.
  • Rome - Often considered the most dangerous place to cross the road but is actually quite safe, if you ignore all roadmarkings and signs, that is. The Romans have learnt that crossing on a zebra crossing under a green man is no safer than an unmarked road. Just because you can see green do not expect that the drivers are being shown red because they are not!! Therefore the way to cross the road in Rome is just to close your eyes and walk. Rome drivers are aggressive but they seem quite happy to give way to a kamikazi pedestrian. It's the unsure tourists they aim for...
  • French Switzerland (Geneva region) - Do not try the Rome tactics here. The Swiss have laws against crossing anywhere other than under a green man and the drivers get irate if you don't follow them. Very few crossings do not have red/green men and it is a common sight to see a Swiss standing at one of these crossings confusedly looking for the light.
  • Denmark - Very similar system to Britain, we seem far too closely related, maybe it's because we both have a monarchy.

reply to iain - Yeah, all nations seem to have a law saying that cars must give way to a pedestrian who has started to cross the road on a crossing without lights, including Britain. The British don't have to stop for somebody with both feet on the pavement - we just consider it extremely impolite not to.