Got in to work pretty early this morning. (9:15. yeah, that's early for me.) Checked my email, answered some of it. (It's my day to respond to messages sent to my team.) Got back to what I had been doing yesterday. ("porting" some reports from VB+SQL+Formula One to VB+SQL+MTS+XML (ooh, buzzwords!), so that we can have two front ends, one VB and one web-based, but only one back end, with the added scalability of using middleware.)

So, my manager comes by, as he usually does, checking on my progress, seeing if I need things to do, how I'm going, etc. ("pretty good, things seem to going more smoothly, now that we've worked out some of the design issues we were having.")

And then, just as he's starting to walk away, he says, "Oh, and so you know, you are officially not laid off". "Great!", I reply, at the same time thinking, "hmm, I wonder who officially is laid off...

A little while later, I start to find out. "Another one bites the dust..." - parting words of the guy who started working here on the same day I did. (Any plans? "Find a job in less than a month, since that's when the severance package runs out.")

And this afternoon, one more: "well, it's been nice working with you." He seemed a little too chipper to have just gone through what he did... must be repressing something. "They keep saying, 'it's like a war out there', but I didn't think that in war, armies got rid of their own troops", he says. No, I guess they don't...

But hey, at least I am still employed, eh? "Great!"