'Tag', 'Tig' or 'It' (it probably has other names too) probably wasn't invented as part of the New Games' Movement in the sixties; it's clearly a game that's been around for ages. Having said that, though, it does conform to the standards of the Movement. 'Tag' involves one player being 'it' and chasing everyone else playing. If he/she catches someone, then that someone is 'it' instead and must chase and catch someone. There is often a safe place, called 'goo'; a player in this way is safe from being 'got'.

All simple enough. The number of variants of this, though, is huge:

  • Freeze tag: once got, a player can't move until unfrozen by another non-'it' player
  • TV Tag: Instead of going to 'goo', players protect themselves by sitting down and yelling the name of a television programme.
  • Stick-in-the-Mud: once a player is 'got' they must stand with their legs apart until a non-'it' player unsticks them by crawling through their legs (this is hard on the knees). Alternatively, players can touch their toes until unstuck by someone leap-frogging over them.
  • Chain Tag: Players link arms in chains of three around the room, except for 'it' and one other player (any extras join to make occasional 'fours'). 'It' chases the one unjoined person until he/she links onto one of the chains of three. The person on the other end of the chain must run and be chased by 'it', and cannot join back onto the chain he/she has just left. (This is easier to play than to explain!)
  • Off-Ground Tag: Anyone not on the floor of the room is automatically safe.

There are bound to be many others - if you've got any, message me and I'll add them...