At the risk of speaking in the presence of experts, I shall explain how I cook sticky rice (which is what I imagine goes with Chinese food, based on what I have read). Please note that I am from the wrong side of Asia (which is a pretty big place), and treat these instructions accordingly.

Preparing rice without a rice cooker

The only thing you'll need is a small pot with a tightly fitting lid. Wash 1-2 cups of rice in the pot, as in DMan's writeup above. When you're done, drain the rice again, then fill with water above 2 cm (nearly 1 inch) above the level of the rice.

Heat to boiling over medium heat. Keep boiling over this heat; you might need to reduce heat a bit if it threatens to spill over the top, but when that happens I usually just skim off the top with a metal spoon, which returns things to normal. After a few minutes, nearly all the water will be gone, and you'll actually be able to see "holes" in the rice. Immediately cover the pot and reduce heat to a minimum. Cook, keeping pot tightly closed, for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and leave to stand (still tightly closed!) for another 10 minutes.

You might want to fluff up the rice a bit with a fork before serving.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
DO NOT STIR THE RICE AT ANY POINT DURING THE PROCESS! STIRRING CAUSES THE STARCHES TO LEAVE THE RICE, LEAVING YOU WITH YUCKY RICE BROTH!!

ADDENDUM

The original (excellent) writeup was DMan's, and explained how to cook rice using a rice cooker. It has unfortunately vanished; Saige and I both refer to it in our text.