My body began above my breasts, which had first appeared when I was eight. It continued below my knees. The center of my body was numb and ambiguous.

In the bath, I perched paperbacks above my cleavage, grew tired of the lukewarm water, then rinsed off blindly without touching the skin. Feeling a growing warmth one evening, I looked down and found blood eking from my ambiguous center, eddying a surprisingly blue-veined body. I rinsed myself as the pink water drained from the tub. As I dried off, I searched the towel and my body for evidence of blood, rubbing my skin red.

My grip on human anatomy was still loose. When I was eight, my mother had called me ominously into her bedroom to explain ovaries and fallopian tubes and to warn me of the apparition of blood. She remained curiously silent about the purpose of menstruation, and by the time I had begun to bleed, she was already gone again.

Now, with this blood, my body was betraying me. Though I tried, I could no longer deny my body’s existence. The dead center of me wasn’t only bloody; it was suddenly flooded with varied sensations, none of which I could bear. Worse than the pain was the unnamable sense of desire. Against my will, the body wanted to be touched. And I would rather be dead than touched.

I resisted the idea of killing my body. I commanded myself not to think it, but ways to kill and be killed flickered, unbeckoned, through my mind. Hit by a car. Slit throat. Gun to head. Hanged. Electrocuted. I witnessed them, disconnected from my own desires. The knife was never in my hand; I only saw a hand, a knife.

Instead of the instigator, I became the prophet of my own death. I didn’t want to kill myself; I wanted to solve the mystery of my impending, inevitable murder.

from The Book of Revelation

previous chapter - next chapter