Dreamings is a European term used by Aborigines to describe the stories about religious or spiritual beliefs, the natural and moral order of the universe, from the beginning of Creation to the present.

The Australian Aboriginals see themselves as the custodians of Australia. Their dreaming is not just of the land, but of the song, dance and mythology of the land. Their paintings, seen on canvas nowadays were originally painted in the sand and only lasted until the wind blew it clear. Since transferring to a more permanent art medium, one can now catch a glimpse of their dreaming, their way of life and values.

Aboriginal Art has now taken its place in the collections of the great museums and galleries around the world and is widely sought after. Rich and complex beliefs embodied in the Dreaming are expressed in art with many layers of meaning that reflects a unique world-view. Present day enthusiasm for Aboriginal art testifies to the primal message it brings out in people.

Examples of physical representation of dreamings (read as art) are: Mimi Spirit carvings, burial poles, spears, baskets, mats, weavings, string and dilly bags, carved emu eggs, Didgeridoos, and sand paintings.