A Visit to Xanadu

     “Kubla Khan” is quite possibly one of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's most famous poems of his career. Aside from captivating readers for several years, it has both stunned and astounded scholars and critics alike. It is an unfinished poem, like most of Coleridge's   poems, and a poem that seems to have no literal meaning on first glance, yet many theoretical meanings can be perceived from repeated readings. This writeup will attempt to highlight just what exactly has cause so much time and effort to go into deciphering what, upon first glance, sounds like the ridiculous ravings of a madman.

    The first logical place to start would be to examine the layered symbolism within the poem itself. As one critic states, “Coleridge was 'thinking of himself in terms of the serene and powerful Kubla.' The pleasure-dome is the bower into which Coleridge retired by means of opium. But this retreat is not perfectly secure, for there were the prophecies of war. These Mr. Graves suggests may have been, on one plane of symbolism, Charles Lamb and Charles Lloyd prophesying an evil fate for the drug taker; on another they were 'probably' the actual threat to England from the war with France, under which 'it was hardly the duty of an Englishman, even a genius, to bury himself far off in the West Country and weaken his spirit with opium”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 239). Coleridge, waking from an opium induced dream, awoke a began writing the poem from what he could still retain in his memory. It is strange to think that any intentional literal meaning could have stemmed from such an accidental meeting of pen and paper. Another critical opinion of the poem says that “The poem shows us that 'Coleridge has determined to shun the mazy complications of life by retreating to a bower of poetry, solitude, and opium.' The Abyssinian maid is an unidentified beloved who usually lay beside him in his opium dream. The caves of ice may represent the purely intellectual character of the poet's attachment to Dorothy Wordsworth”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 239). Some theories state that the meaning behind the symbolism in Kubla Khan is much more personal than it may at first seem. This is not the first of Coleridge's poems to contain mention of the “Abyssinian maid”. Finally, one more example of Coleridge's imagery being examined is when the critic says “The figure with 'flashing eyes' and 'floating hair' in the final lines Lowes traced to a confluence of Bruce's king of Abyssinia, whose hair on one occasion floated, and the 'youths' who were followers of Aloadin—an impersonal mysterious figure beheld by Coleridge in his dreams”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 245). The symbolism Coleridge uses in this poem is incredibly deep, and seems to be, for the most part, pulled directly from is opium dreams.

    The second factor about this poem that has attracted so much attention is the fact that it forever remains uncompleted, as the idea was lost by Coleridge. One critic states “However much of little of a plan Coleridge may have had, the fragment as it stands perhaps carries within itself the seeds of its own early collapse. The author could hardly sustain it, one feels, and if he could the reader could not”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 252). The very beginning of this poem is so detailed and in depth that if it had been the staggering work that Coleridge claimed it would have been in its finished form, if he did manage to write such a poem, the reader would almost certainly be lost in the details. Another opinion of the poem in its unfinished form is when a critic states “A narrative poet almost of necessity lets the reader into his tale more thinly, with his matter spaced more widely; or if the opening texture is extremely rich the pace will be slower, more leisurely or more dignified, as in Paradise Lost and Lycidas. The movement of Kubla Khan is rather swift, yet its texture is fully as elaborate as that of Lycidas, without the retarding gravity and the uncrowded, fully explored imagery with which the poem opens”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 252). To have a longer poem the author must reveal the details slowly, so that the poem can continue. If Coleridge could have finished this poem, it may have destroyed itself by complicating the story line with an overexertion of imagery. Finally, the critic states “I question whether Coleridge or any poet could have continued it without producing either anticlimax or surfeit. It is impertinent, however, to suggest what a poet could or could not do; and it is idle anyhow to worry the question of whether Kubla Khan is unfinishable or merely unfinished”(Coleridge, Opium, and Kubla Khan, page 252). The poem, whether it is possible that it could have been completed or not, in reality is not. It should be looked at and examined as a fragment, though not necessarily a bad thing as Coleridge's career revolved around many unfinished poems.

    A final characteristic of “Kubla Khan” is the musical tone that the poem follows. For example, one critic points out that “The pattern of Kubla Khan, however, is not confined to the æ-sounds. The rhyme, with all its freedom, its shiftings and Lycidas-like “oscillations,” has elaborate hidden correspondences. The rhyme scheme of the opening seven lines, for example, is exactly repeated in the first seven lines of the second paragraph. The extraordinary elaboration, also, of the assonance keeps the music of this poem fresh through many re-readings”(Kubla Khan, page 88). The poetic style that Coleridge uses throughout “Kubla Khan” keeps the reader from getting bored and the poem becoming redundant. Also, the critic continues, “The most obvious of the patterns in the opening lines, apart from the ubiquity of the æ-sounds, is the alliteration that closes each of the first five lines: “Kubla Khan,” “dome decree,” “river ran,” “measureless to man,” “sunless sea”---a revival of the device Coleridge had practiced so conspicuously in his Spenserian-Miltonic verse of 1795”(Kubla Khan, page 89). “Kubla Khan” signified the recurrence of a writing style that Coleridge had practiced well. A writing style that also helped to, in a sense, characterize “Kubla Khan.” A final critical analysis of Coleridge's writing style is stated “This device, used skillfully as it is here and partly concealed by the interlacing of other patterns, contributes to something to the floating effect of the whole, for the assonance softens the impact of the rhyme and so lessens its tendency to bring the line to earth at the close: the terminal rhyme does not settle so heavily upon the mind when its emphasis has been partly stolen by its preceding shadow”(Kubla Khan, page 90). The musical attributes found within the poem, creatively mixed with other types of interlacing patterns, help to give “Kubla Khan” a little bit of its longevity.

    Many attributes have made “Kubla Khan” a long time favorite among scholars and poetry enthusiasts alike. The fact that it remains unfinished seems little more than another alley to explore, and has led to many speculations about what Coleridge was trying to convey and what direction he could have been heading with the poem. Both the musical style and the layered imagery also help with it's popularity, and have led to many speculations of the true meaning of the poem, and what the illustrations represent. Although criticized by many as nothing more than the incomprehensible ramblings of an opium addict, it is hard to deny that Coleridge knew what he was doing when he began writing “Kubla Khan”, and did it very well.


Sources:
  • "Opium, Coleridge, and Kubla Khan": Published in Textbook Binding by Octagon
    Books (May, 1983). Author: Elisabeth Schneider