Over eighteen years later (going by node dates) and new generations of script kiddies have come along. Some of them have a bit more skill due to them having more involved computer experience since they were born. The original ones from when the earlier nodes were made grew up and transitioned to jobs as admins (now bitching about script kiddies), accountants, or are in jail.

From my experience running some United States web servers, it seems most of the script kiddies are coming in from overseas, especially Brazil and former Soviet states. I'm assuming some are VPNs to hide folks from the US, since they're almost required as part of the Script Kiddie birthing process these days.

Like always, they run bots and scripts, same as they used to do, looking for Wordpress installs and then trying to do attacks. If you're running a Wordpress website, the first two things you install is a firewall and a security system. My go-to duo is Wordfence for firewall and Bulletproof Security Pro for the second layer. Looking at live data on for one of my sites, I can see a German, a Swedish, and a Brazilian kiddie running the exact same exploit kits. And now their IP addresses are blocked. Unless they're actually targeting my site, they'll just move on to the next one.

There will always be a first-floor layer of wannabe hackers who dip their toes into the scene in order to impress their equally clueless friends. Most will get grounded by their parents or grow up and pay penance as an IT admin. The rest will just blend in with the rest of the goo on the bottom layer, except for one or two that have some natural skills and talents. Others will set up a router to dig around on the dark web. Like most oozes and slimes, they'll annoy someone with skillz and have to clean out a root kit or ransomware. Then they'll get pissed off and go play some PS4 first-person shooter.