The state of not being able to decide; uncertainty or hesitation. Also called indecisiveness


Indecision regarding the choice among pleasures temporarily robs a man of inner peace. After due reflection, he attains joy by turning away from the lower pleasures and seeking the higher ones” – I Ching


Without hesitation I can decisively say that I am a self-confessed indecision junkie, aren’t I? How easy it becomes to cloud the smallest decision with endless outcomes, until the only true decision remaining is indecision. Happiest am I faced with a day brimming with decisions ready to be avoided.


Let me give you an example, I’m thirsty, do I want coffee or coke? Coffee involves walking into the kitchen and pouring boiling water into a cup, while coke demands a more aggressive approach, down the stairs, into the staffroom and drop your money into the coke machine. You be the judge. So what do you do in a situation like this? Well obviously you sit without coffee, without coke, complaining bitterly that your tongue feels like the rough carpet usually covering the floor of your doctors surgery.


Of course there are greater decisions than those directly involving beverages. Do you stay true to your significant other or give in to your desires and sleep with that guy you’ve been fucking in your mind. Do you admit that whenever you’re around him you feel alive? If that’s not enough to make you wonder why we would ever want to make a decision, try this. Your mother thinks you’re actually a lesbian, so the ‘guy’ you’ve been telling her about (stupidly expecting rock solid advice) is most likely a girl and you just don’t have enough balls to admit it.


In the immortal words of Mike Patton;

“Indecision clouds my vision

No one listens

Because I'm somewhere in between

My love and my agony

You see, I'm somewhere in between

My life is falling to pieces

Somebody put me together “


It all boils down to this, indecision creates the kind of flexibility that allows you to explore the darkest corners of your soul. Either that, or it gives you an excuse to drift forever, enjoying the best (or worst) of both worlds, locked in self-doubt indefinately.

That’s all, I think.