This is the only interesting event of my day, a conversation occuring at the table behind me tonight at dinner in my local dining hall
Girl 1: ...so the professor was talking about this thing, with this big silver thing catching fire and crashing. I remember the movie, but I can't remember when it happenned.
me: the Hindenburg?
Girl 2: Didn't that happen in the eighties?
Girl 1: No, you're thinking of the Challenger. It was like a blimp, and it had people on it, eating dinner with pianos and stuff.
Guy: Oh, the Zepplin!
me: the Hindenburg.
Girl 1: Yeah, I think it happenned in New York, in 1939.
me: New Jersey, actually.
(Though I didn't know it either, it was actually in 1937, too.)
Girl 2: New York? I don't remember that.
Guy: No, it was in Germany.
Girl 2: Ooh.
Girl 1: No, I'm sure it was in New York.
Guy: No, it was in Germany, it was the Nazis.
me: what?? It was in Lakehurst, New Jersey. It was a transatlantic passenger zepplin.
Guy: <nasty look>
Girl 1: No, there were people eating dinner. And pianos.
Guy: No, remember The Rocketeer? With the blimps with the swastikas and stuff?
Girl 1: Ooh, yeah, you're right. And you thought it was the Challenger.
Guy: <smug> Ha, ha. And you thought it was in New York.
me: (getting up to leave) And you. Thought. It was in Germany, you complete. Ignorant. Ass.
I guarantee this is at least 85% true, and the other 15% is phrasing and unimportant details that I forgot. Note that these were all Ivy League
students we're talking about.