A superb strategic first person shooter for PC, developed by Bohemia Interactive, and distibuted by Codemasters. It is to be relased in June of 2001.

When the demo was released in March, it was quickly and rather unanimously proclaimed to be the best strategic FPS ever. Indeed, the feeling of immersion is quite extreme. Things like going prone, aiming, moving under fire, spotting, and other such warlike things are implemented with a stunning sense of realism. Even discerning the enemy from friends can be something of a challenge. If you've ever been to the army, either by conscription of by choice, you should know what I mean.

Not only can you run around, killing bad guys with your M-16 (though nothing prevents you from expressing yourself with an AK-47, loaned from the enemy you just shot), you can pilot anything ranging from trucks to aeroplanes. As far as I know, any vehicle you can destroy, you can also pilot. Even the tanks.

It will also include Multiplayer, which has the potential to be the biggest thing since Doom. Just imagine the realism of Counter Strike combined with the Team Play enhancements of Tribes. The learning curve should be kinda steep, which would eliminate the most impatient teens and team killers, leaving an enjoyable Multiplayer experience for the rest of us.

See also: http://www.operation-flashpoint.net/