As much as I liked Footprints' logical dissection of the faking issue, things are clearly not that simple in real life. People fake orgasms for many different reasons, and in many different ways. Instead of just describing a situation as “you want the other person to get it over with- is (s)he considerate?” flow chart kind of description and explanation, try putting yourself in the other person's pants. I mean, shoes. Instead of describing the various psychological pressures and motivations people have, I’ll try to give men a feeling of what I mean – I’m almost certain most women know exactly why other women fake, even if they don’t have to fake themselves.

Imagine yourself meeting a nice young lady. You spent some time together, had fun, and you’re both clearly attracted to each other. You have a couple of drinks and end up in bed with her. You’re having fun playing with her, and she with you, but you just can't get it up - you haven’t slept for over 24 hours, you’ve had a couple of drinks, and you’re tense because this is your first time in bed with the young lady.

At this point, most men will start feeling tense. The question “will I get it up?” is usually more than enough to keep it down. If you could only pretend it was up, even if you don’t really come, wouldn’t you?

Perhaps you wouldn’t. Perhaps you have the balls even if you don’t have the erection. But when a person’s in bed with someone they want to please, and start feeling unattractive and inadequate, faking isn’t a bad solution.
So – I agree with what must be Footprint’s basic idea – communication is one of the most important things in bed. However, the fact that someone fakes doesn’t mean they’re stupid/wrong. Faking on a regular basis in a steady relationship does, on the other hand, require thought at least about your sex life if not about your relationship or current mental state.