When many think of Black Sabbath, they think of the voice of Ozzy Osbourne, chilling over dark, evil music supplied by guitarist Tony Iommi and bassist extrodinaire Geezer Butler. If they think of Bill Ward, the original drummer of the group, at all, it might be his failing heart condition. When one thinks of the music, they think of the creepy Black Sabbath, or perhaps the pounding Paranoid, maybe even the anthemic Iron Man or the anti-war diddy War Pigs. Last on the list of relations would be this track.

My name it means nothing // My fortune is less // My future is shrouded in dark wilderness

Solitude is perhaps one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. The music for the song is, as most every Sabbath tune, led by the superb basswork of Geezer Butler. On this tune, he creates a soft melody which is the main focus of the song, besides the softly sung lyrics of Bill Ward. Yep, Bill Ward. The drummer. This is one of the few Ozzy-era Sabbath songs that does not feature the Ozzman's voice (although, www.black-sabbath.com claims it IS Ozzy singing). Solitude also has no drums, but does feature an ethereal flute playing throughout.

Oh where can I go to and what can I do? // Nothing can please me only thoughts are of you // You just laughed when I begged you to stay // I've not stopped crying since you went away

The lyrics are dark, and feature the sadness created by the loss of a loved one, "Nothing can please me only thoughts are of you /// You just laughed when I begged you to stay /// I've not stopped crying since you went away." It is similar to the other sad Sabbath ballad, Changes, in the feelings it creates in the listener. The first times I heard both tracks, I was almost moved to tears.

The world is a lonely place you're on your own // Guess I will go home sit down and moan // Crying and thinking is all that I do // Memories I have remind me of you


All italicized text is lyrics from the song, written by the four members of Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward and Ozzy Osbourne as it appears on the classic album Master of Reality. All links were added by Yours Truly, Thank you for not suing. CST Approved