(WARNING: Rant imminent!)

Having long ago found comfort in knowing myself to be a 'hard' agnostic (see below), I feel an urge to make you all the victims of my explanation of deeper meanings of agnosticism.

Firstly, there are several branches of agnosticism, though they are no where near as many as the religious orders of any given religion, current or otherwise.

The most interesting distinction is between hard agnosticism and soft agnosticism. The soft version is what many seem to view agnostics as: Someone who does not know whether he should believe in God or not, seeking proof either for or against existence of the Divine. Basically, an unwilling atheist considering what faith to pick, if any.

'Hard' agnostics (you are free to joke about the term, if you so desire) not only accept but embrace lack of knowledge about the Divine, in any shape (agnosticism is not just concerned with christian views of Divinity, morality and ethics, dogmatic tradition etc, but also turn this view on buddhism, islam, hinduism and even, yes, Darwinism (which can be claimed to be the creationism of atheists, after all)!). Such a person will, stereotypically, respond to any non-agnostic's claim of what is right/wrong or true/false with a simple "well, you're allowed to belief that if you wish". This is not an act of indifference; agnosticism openly accepts that its adherents cannot know what is true or false in divine matters, and thus it is, theoretically, impossible for an agnostic to say or even believe that someone is 'wrong' in matters of faith, just as the agnostic cannot claim to know what is 'right'.

This is in no way to say that agnostics (I will henceforth use the term to mean predominantly hard agnostics) cannot be a royal pain in the rectal areas, hell-bent on 'converting' others. In my early years as self-confessed agnostic, I kept probing people of assorted faiths with questions like "but how do you know that you are right?", aiming to make them realize their basic theological ignorance. Fact is, any faith, including agnosticism, is not about knowledge or evidence, but about faith, dammit.

So what 'religious' ritualism marks an agnostic? For me, the answer is simple: A search for questions rather than answers (yes I know that might seem like a paradox, since this is 'the simple answer', but trust me, it is not). I am not agnostic because I dislike the idea of having a destiny, wanting to 'be in control of my own life' (atheists also do not always have a loathing of the idea of destiny; in fact, many grow gloomy and even nihillistic from their want of it, but lack of believe in it!). I simply accept the fact that I do not know what such a fate might or might not be, and instead enjoy the mystery of having to find out. For religious folk, even those not highly devoted to their faith, comfort comes from being sure of one's place in God's masterplan. For me comfort comes from knowing that I will never be sure of what such a place might be, and thus I will always have the option of an unexpected future. Had I not enjoyed the idea that anything might be around the corner, I would have gone shopping for religion long ago.

A campy comparison would be a football match. To the casual eye, there are two groups of people amongst the spectators: Those who hope/belief that Team A will win, and those who hope/belief that Team B will win. These two groups could be any two religions you wish to insert (including atheists, though their team might lack a clearly defined coach). Agnostics taking part would, however, form a third type of spectator: The one who is simply there to enjoy the game.

Agnosticism and ethics

Religion being such a strong beacon of morales, defining the notions of right and wrong, people often ask me how an agnostic goes about being a good person, a.k.a. what morale beliefs guide agnostics. The crude answer is 'none'; without a fear of Hell or ambitions of Heaven through the recipe of specific religious dogma, an agnostic cannot follow a set path to be a good person. Unlike atheists, though, agnostics are aware of the fact that Heaven and Hell might exist, but in any of a whole range of incarnations: The mormons could be right, as could catholics or protestants, but shintoism, hindusim or any of a multitude of isms could be equally true. Heck, the bravest of us may go to Valhalla by decree of Odin! While 'soft' agnostics with too much time on their hands can throw tantrums out of sheer panic when wondering about this, 'hard' agnostics tend to simply take it as inspiration. I myself believe in kindness towards fellow man (male or female), as preached by Christianity, while also adhering to values of courage, as in nordic mythology. I also take buddhist concepts of inner harmony very much to heart. The basic idea, at least in my personal mosaic of religious concepts, is to take any good idea and see what it could hold for me and my surroundings. I have no scripture to ultimately guide me, but I have hundreds to inspire me.

On the very down-to-earth level, agnostic ethics of behavior tend to mimic those of atheists, in that an agnostic will develop his or her own set of moral codes to treat, and judge, others through. For non-agnostics and non-atheists, this is often misunderstood as either adhering strictly to secular humanism, or the legal code of national or other institutions (GreenPeace, the UN Charter or other such NGOs are common points of reference, both for external observers and for agnostics and atheists themselves). This is not necesarily true. The 'problem', especially when trying to categorize and predict agnostic (and atheist) behavior is, that there is no point of reference. They make it up as they go. My own ethics are very simple: If it promotes happiness, it is a Good Thing. Of course, morale advocates enjoy setting up hypothetical scenarios in which making someone happy will make others unhappy, hoping to prove such a simplistic morale code useless. Well, life is complex, and the Bible does not have answers for every single situation either. People are still forced to decide how to interpret situations for themselves, so there. I do, too. Other agnostics (and, again, atheists) have to react to life as well, applying or ignoring morale codes as needed, whatever those may be.

The Sum of it All

While many agnostics enjoy claiming to be 'above religion', agnosticism itself is a belief. It is a belief that there might be something out there, which no one can truly know any serious details about before encountering it. And just like christians may find comfort or fear in the belief in God, an agnostic can feel comfortable or uncomfortable about his/her self-proclaimed ignorance about any higher truth. An agnostic is not an atheist in disguise; atheists believe there is no God of any kind, and that all we have is each other (if even that; atheism is a veritable breeding ground for neogothic nihilists). Agnostics do not deny the existence of anything, feeling an urge to keep wondering. While I am not sure of chromaticblue's observation that 'many agnostics are intellectuals', it might have a relation to this inquisitive nature that tends to be strong in agnostics. Since agnosticism does not necesarily imply intelligence, it is not an automatic advantage, though, and many great thinkers have been firm religious believers of one sort or another (some even fanatics). As you might have noticed, agnostics also have a tendency to give both-yes-and-no answers :-)

"I don't ask questions in order to get answers, I seek answers in order to ask better questions"
- Some clever remark I heard somewhere...