Music Has the Right to Children was released by Boards of Canada in 1998 on both Warp (as catalogue number WARP55) and Skam Records (as SKALD1). The tracklist is as follows:

  1. Wildlife Analysis (1:17)
  2. An Eagle in your Mind (2:08)
  3. The Color of the fire (1:45)
  4. Telephasic Workshop (6:35)
  5. Triangles & Rhombuses (1:50)
  6. Sixtyten (5:48)
  7. Turquoise Hexagon Sun (2:51)
  8. Kaini Industries (0:59)
  9. Bocuma (1:36)
  10. Roygbiv (2:31)
  11. Rue the Whirl (6:39)
  12. Aquarius (5:58)
  13. Olson (1:31)
  14. Pete Standing Alone (0:46)
  15. Smokes Quantity (3:07)
  16. Open the Light (4:25)
  17. One Very Important Thought (1:18)
  18. Happy Cycling (7:55)

Clocking in at just below 63 minutes, the album is a prime example of the soundscapes that BoC manage to churn out. Michael and Marcus, with their preference for old documentaries and the melancholy of childhood memories, have created one of their best albums with Music Has the Right to Children. The sound, as their other work, is a pleasant mix of floating synth melodies and Autechreish beats.

The cover art features 7 children/young adults, standing by a lookout point in the mountains. The picture looks old and faded, with little creases and cracks. The faces of the people (with the exception of the left-most person) are all devoid of any features, making the picture scary in an odd way. The art is actually designed by BoC themselves.

I especially reccomend the tracks An Eagle in your Mind, Roygbiv (Try substituting each letter with a color - red orange yellow ...), Aquarius and One Very Important Thought, though all the tracks are remarkable in their own way.

Bocuma is actually a new and slightly re-edited version of the track Boc Maxima of the album of the same name.

In the end of Happy Cycling (which only appears on the American version), there's some backwards speech. This is actually from an interview with Jeff Lynn of Electric Light Ochestra, where he denies using backward masking.

Sources: Actual CD, my CD-player (for the times), Eeggs.com.